South Carolina
Options

Beach Wedding Snag (early planning phase)

Hi all!I've hit a little speed bump (already! LoL). I've just received an email from the venue where we want to have our ceremony & reception in Myrtle Beach. We are planning to have a small ceremony ON the beach, but they told me: "It is actually illegal to get married on the beach in Myrtle Beach ,  however it is permitted in North Myrtle Beach ."So I read the attachment from Horry County, and it reads: "The public beach... Commercially-produced weddings are not permitted on the public beach. Non-commercial weddings are allowed on the public beach."So... my question is, what's the difference between "commercial" and "non-commercial" weddings? I really really want to be married ON the beach, sand between my toes, waves crashing in the background, etc etc.Please Help!Thanks,Meg

Re: Beach Wedding Snag (early planning phase)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think that means that you're allowed to get married on the beach but can't actual set up a ceremony (i.e. chairs, tables). You probably are just allowed to literally walk on, get married while everyone is standing around you, and then leave.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If it's anything like the rules around Charleston it means that you can't hire any professionals, or pay anyone associated with the wedding.  Meaning you, hubs, priest, and spectators can be on the beach, nobody can stop you.  However no rental companies setting things up, no photographer, etc. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your replies! I actually called the probate judge's office & found out that you CAN have a ceremony on the beach, but if it's within the city limits of Myrtle Beach, you must buy a permit. Otherwise, if it's in Horry County, you don't need a permit.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    hey! are you allowed to have chairs and photographers?? I saw this and flipped! FI and I are planning a myrtle beach wedding in June 2010 and we had planned on a ceremony infront of the resort we're doing the reception in (North Myrtle).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ND-Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach are two separate towns. This is not the case in NMB.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ndzenowski - When I spoke with the lady (Debbie) at the probate office, she said you didn't need a permit in N Myrtle Beach, but you might want to give them a call. 843-915-5370 is the number. They also have an online form that you can print for your marriage license. here's the website for that as well.http://www.horrycounty.org/probatecourt/marriage.asp
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys!!
  • Options
    caropinescaropines member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The law is ambiguous and information from the city is always misleading. You are not allowed to have any wedding activities (ceremony, photographs or videos) in the sand within the city limits of Myrtle Beach. They will take your application and your money and you'll never receive the permit. Go to North Myrtle Beach, Surfside Beach or have your ceremony at Myrtle Beach State Park which is State Property and near enough to most of the Ocean Blvd hotels to make it worth while.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards