Chinese Weddings
Options

red envelope significance

Hi I am the new gwailo wife of my asian husband.   My MIL explained this to me when I received the gift, but silly me, I already forgot the significance.   We received a red envelope with $169.   I am curious what the significance of this is besides the standard phrase "lucky numbers."  Hehe, can anyone enlighten me why they are lucky numbers?    Thanks!

Re: red envelope significance

• Options
    LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gee, I don't know about the 1 and 6. 9 is a lucky number because it sounds like the word "forever". HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is the only thing I was able to find on it from "Numbers in Chinese Culture" on Wikipedia... doesn't exactly sound lucky, but it's the only thing I could find!:167, 169, 1679: In Hong Kong, seven (七) and nine (九) both have similar pronunciations to and , respectively, two of "the five most insulting words" in Cantonese - the male genital. Six in Cantonese also has a similar pronunciation to an impolite word which is used to count the number of cylindrical objects. Therefore, 167, 169, 1679 and other creative combinations (such as the infamous taboo "on-9-9") are dirty jokes in Hong Kong culture.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    169 sounds like “一路走” which means walking down path. It also sounds like "一路久“ which means a path for a long time. So combining the meanings, basically, she is wishing you two walk down the same path together until you're old and wrinkly. Congrats!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards