South Carolina

Wedding and Reception in one place

Hello Ladies, I live in Charleston, SC and am thinking about doing both the wedding and reception at the William Aiken House downtown. You rent it for 4 hours at a time...do u think that is enough time for a wedding and reception?? Has anyone had a wedding/been to a wedding there? Any ideas on how far in advance they book up?

Re: Wedding and Reception in one place

• kelkigskelkigs member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think having the ceremony and reception at the same venue is a great way to save some money.There is a knottie that had her ceremony and reception there earlier this year... drawing a blank on her name at the moment.  When I looked into them over a year ago, you got the venue for the entire day.  I hope they dropped their rates if you are restricted by time.Do you have to set up for everything within that 4 hour time period?  If so I don't think it would be enough time.  If the 4 hours does not include your set up time, then I think it is enough. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using the Legare-Waring house and they allow the same amount of time (4 hours). Our entire guest list + WP is 40 people, so I think it will be enough time, but if it were a more traditional guest list number I'd think about doing the ceremony elsewhere and then just reception at the site. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I think it will depend on a few things, like PP said a smaller wedding would be fine. Just to give you an example, we had 230 guests, we showed up at the church at 1:00 for pictures, ceremony at 2:30, cocktail hour from 3:30-5:00, dinner from 5:00-6:00 and we left the reception at 10:00.  I would consider what type of meal you would be serving and steer away from a seated dinner as they take longer. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Hi. We had our wedding and reception at the Wiliam Aiken House in May. They charge $500 extra for you to have your ceremony there. Then the normal booking costs to have your 4 hour reception. If you want to add on an extra hour, that costs extra. We just did the 4 hour reception, and it was perfect for us, we didn't feel rushed at all. Our wedding ceremony was at 5:30. Ceremony was over at 6. We had a half hour cocktail party while we did pictures, then dinner was from 6:30 to 7:30. Then we had two and half hours outside under the tent with the band! The William Aiken House tends to book a year in advance. We had a Friday wedding (it was cheaper), but we still booked about 10 months in advance. We also only had about 75 people at our wedding, so dinner and things went a little faster than if you were to have 200 people. Let me know if you have any other questions!! The William Aiken House is gorgeous by the way, good luck in all your planning!!!
  • DRibeiro13DRibeiro13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies! That was all very helpful! I am prob not going to have over 100 so maybe a 4 hour wedding would work out fine! I will definately book waaay in advance so that i can have the wedding of my dreams! Thanks again
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So I think that my wedding and reception would have at the most 100 people, so maybe the 4 hours would work. Any suggestions for wedding planners and photographers?
  • edited December 2011
    Melissa @ Charleston Celebrations is doing my planning. She is very affordable and has been an absolute lifesaver for me in my planning thus far. She will recommend Kate McKinley for photography if Kate is available. Both have websites, just Google them.
  • edited December 2011
    I highly reccommend Weddings by stephanie marie for help with the planning. Very reasonably priced. They did my wedding and I can't say enough good things about them.www.weddingsbystephaniemarie.com
  • edited December 2011
    Hey, I'm from Charleston and getting married here too. It's nice to see someone who actually lives there getting married there. I am doing my ceremony and reception at the Rice Mill. It's just another option you may want to check into and I know when I looked at prices, it is half the price of William Aiken. It is very beautiful as well. Just another suggestion... good luck with planning :)
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey! I will def have to check it out...I looked at some pictures and i really liked it! Thank you for the suggestion! Good luck with planning also!
  • edited December 2011
    for wedding planning check out Out of Hand its on pitt street in mt p. they can help with EVERYTHING except for food, they do invites, decor, linens, plates, sliver, glasses I mean just about everything they have a huge supply of things and can really make your wedding dream come true, THEY ARE THE BEST!

PAL/TTCAL welcome

me and mikeLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    [IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/14lrdpj.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/j65vnd.jpg[/IMG]

This is our rainbow baby! Lincoln born July 23 at 37w6d

Pictures

• edited December 2011
    I am getting married and having my reception at the I'on Creek Club in MP. Only downside is that in 2010 you will have to use thier catering. Since we are getting married this year we were able to use our caterer. I am also using out of hand and they are great. They do day of and full service event planning.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards