• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
Catholic Weddings

Pre Cana

Do you have to take the class in the diocese in which you are getting  married or can we do it at our local church?
Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: Pre Cana

  • edited December 2011
    You can do it wherever you currently live. We did ours in Georiga, but got married in Ohio which is obviously a different diocese. We just had to make sure we fullfilled Ohio's diocese and our parishes priest requirements in order for him to marry us.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    Knottie Warrior 1000 Comments 100 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Pre-cana itself isn't a class. Pre-cana is specifically ONE choice for marriage prep, which refers to meetings with a priest. Most people here use the term to cover all choices for marriage prep. Normally the distinction doesn't matter, but in this case it does in order to answer your question.

    You must follow your priest's guidence for marriage preparation....most will be very accomodating to your personal schedule and travel abilities. (Doing an engage encounter where you live, for instance). Some priests require more than just a one time deal, perhaps meeting with a specific counselor or something.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    Knottie Warrior 2500 Comments 25 Love Its First Answer
    edited December 2011
    yes, check with the priest who will be marrying you.  they all want/require different things. 
  • catarntinacatarntina member
    1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in Ohio, but I live in Colorado.  Since I am a member of the Archdiocese of Denver, I needed to follow *their* requirements for marriage prep.  The priest in Ohio asked that fill out an "A" form, and take the FOCCUS review, and then follow anything Denver required.  Denver does the "A" form and the FOCCUS review anyway.

    For Denver's requirments I had to do 4 Sundays of marriage prep after mass.  Then I had to take NFP classes once a month for 3 months.  Plus we had to meet with the deacon on several occassions for paperwork, FOCCUS, etc.

    The church in Colorado had to fill out a special form giving the church in Ohio special permission to marry someone not in their diocese.

    Once all the paperwork and classes were finished, the deacon mailed our papers to the Archdiocese of Denver's office where the bishop has to approve it.  From there, it gets sent to the Diocese of Toledo and the church where I am actually getting married.

    It wasn't a big deal; they do this all the time.  It's just more of a paper trail, but most of it was oblivious to me.  It just had to be cleared with priests in both churches.

    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • clearheavensclearheavens member
    Knottie Warrior 1000 Comments Name Dropper 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Ditto agapecarrie and Calypso1977.  Each Diocese has their own requirements.  Your priest will tell you everything you need to know because everyone on this board comes from different Dioceses.
    Follow Me on Pinterest

    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going through the same thing and, yes, definitely speak to the priest who is marrying you first. In our case, the priest required us to take the FOCCUS which actually isn't even administered where we live, so he's allowing us to prepare under our parish's guidelines as long as that priest is in touch with him.  It's sort of frustrating that there's no 'standard' procedure. Just be prepared to bug the church a little if you have to.  We did!
  • edited December 2011
    We talked with our Office Ladies (who rock) and they laid out what we needed to do and when. We happen to be getting married in the Diocesan Church so I guess that helps... Your priest should be able to tell you when you need to take your FOCCUS and when he will be able to review them with you.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards