California-San Diego
Options

Help for a visiting Knottie

Hi! As a surprise for my FI, the weekend after our wedding, I am flying us to San Diego for the Chargers/Eagles game. I have a TON of free hotel points at both Marriott and Hilton. Tentatively I booked the Marriott Coronado Island. But I'm wondering if it woud be better for us to stay downtown, perhaps at the Hilton. What do you all think? We are visiting Fri-Tues and besides the game will do some exploring and possibly head down to Tijuana. Any sites you recommend we check out? We aren't huge beach people but love to snorkel, scuba dive, hike and explore. Thanks in advance for your help! Jill

Re: Help for a visiting Knottie

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you like to snorkel go to La Jolla Cove.  If you get there early on a weekday it won't be AS busy as the weekend. My only advice if you go down to TJ is to be VERY careful. No advice on the hotel situation.   Enjoy your stay!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would definetely skip Tijuana!  Take it from someone who loves Mexico and its people, I speak the language and I even know some people there and I would NOT recommend a trip.  The crime/danger situation is so out of control that anyone's a target these days. As for doing something fun, I'd do some sight seeing in Cabrillo National Monument, maybe go on a Hornblower Dinner Cruise, visit Coronado Island and La Jolla for some good shopping and excellent restaurants. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Coronado's NICE, but I think they're getting ready to start charging for the use of the Bridge again (state budget being out of whack, they have to look for money at any avenue).Downtown's nice, but it can be a nightmare with the one way streets at every turn, it seems...Although, if you're staying at the Hilton right near the convention center, that's not bad at all. :)La Jolla Cove is a definite recommendation for you two, and if you're hikers, you can do a Rose Canyon hike in La Jolla, or even Mission Trails out near Santee. If you do either one, though, be on the lookout for rattlesnakes on or near the trails - it's warm enough that they're out and patrolling for food.I wouldn't recommend TJ - too many things going on south of the border right now with corrupt cops, drug czars, etc, and if you're planning to go across into Mexico you need a passport, which if you don't already have, would be impossible to get by Fri.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Coronado Island is nice but you will have to travel back and forth across the bridge everytime you want to visit the main city/downtown and that can be a problem especially with traffic. I would stay in downtown instead because you have easy access to the restaurants and shops and nightlife in the area, Balboa Park is also close by. Its a really nice park with a lot of museums to visit and sometimes they have cultural shows on the weekends in the orchestra pavilion. Tijuana might be pretty dangerous to travel to if you are a tourist/visitor. My family goes down there on a regular basis but its never more than a 3 hour trip. If you are set on going down there, try to go in the early afternoon on a weekday, and be prepared to wait at the border line for 1-3 hours if you drive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I highly recommend Balboa Park and the Zoo (right next to each other). Also, since you are not beach people, you could go sailing in the harbor instead (either the Hornblower or the Californian). If you like hiking, I highly recommend Torrey Pines State Park, beautiful hike through a forest of Torrey Pines on the cliffs overlooking the ocean with paths to the beach and tidepools.
    ~Margaret (and Nick)~
    Post-Wedding Life Blog!
    A10 Siggy Challenge: Next Vacation Destination: San Francisco!
  • Options
    LeAnna&TomLeAnna&Tom member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The charging on the bridge if it happens is a long way off.  Coronado is nice I just moved to Lakeside 2 years ago after living on the island for 16.  Driving over the bridge is not big deal.  Seaport village is a nice place to visit, downtown has a good ngiht life.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a Marriott in downtown and its right at the edge of the gaslamp and across the street from the trolley.  You can take the trolley to the Chargers game.Skip Tijuana--its not worth the hassle of crossing the border and you really dont want to be down there if you happen to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.We dont have a ton of the stereotypical beaches--while we do have a few that are vast expanses of sand, we have quite a few that are little sandy beaches nestled next to cliffs.  Check out La Jolla for water activites- you can snorkle, scuba, kayak and check out the tide pools.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    don't go to TJ... and here's a TJ horror story to convince you My Best friend Co worker's cousin (yes I know it sounds like a stretch that many people involved in the story getting passed on) went there with her boyfriend for Valentines day during the day mind you, they had a couple drinks and then she got up and said she was going to the bathroom. 20 minutes later she's still not back so he asked a girl to go in and check on her, thinking she drank too much and was sick, the girl came back out and said no one was there. He goes running around the bar looking for her can't find her anywhere and no one would help. He decides to go back across the border to get help when running over the bridge he see's his truck in the line of cars to ge back over the border (he has a huge sticker that takes up most of the back window).  He jumps the divider and runs over to his truck. His girlfriend is sitting up in her seat looking straight ahead with some strange man driving his truck he starts banging on the window and screaming what the hell is going on and cussing which gets border patrol and federalies attention and they all start coming to the car the guy driving pulls a gun but they stop him and pull him out of the car somehow. The whole time this scene is happening the girlfriend isn't moving... they had attached a broom handle to her back to keep her body upright they had sliced her open taken out her intestines and filled her with herone all within about an hour and a half. So don't go to TJ it's way too crazy right now.  Besides that Enjoy your honeymoon!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone else, don't go to TJ it is very dangerous right now. Not worth your time and safety. As far as sight seeking goes, Cabrillo National Monument is great it's along the water but you can hike all around it and it has educational stuff abouthe the lighthouse and you can go inside it, Balboa Park and Sea Port Village are a must, (there is a Marriott hotel walking distance to Balboa Park and Sea port village) The harbor excursion dinner cruises are very nice and romantic, La Jolla Cove is beautiful to check out just to walk along and see even if you arent beach people plus I know alot of people the go snorkeling at the cove, it is beautiful. If you want a fun night out with bars or drinking Pacific Beach gets crazy on the weekend its on the boardwalk and thorugh the streets but a lot of poeple hang out there. HTH!! Have a good time!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the suggestions. We are going to have a ton to keep us busy for the few days we are visting....I can't wait!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards