Indiana
Options

David's Bridal Alterations

Hi All,   I bought my wedding dress at the David's Bridal near Castleton. I have an alterations appointment with them in December but I'm wondering if I should keep it. Has anyone had any experiances with their alterations department? I'm assuming they're more expensive but if they do good work I suppose I'm willing to over look that.What are your thoughts?Thanks!!

Re: David's Bridal Alterations

• Options
    shawnalynn621shawnalynn621 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had my alterations done at David's Bridal! I was very happy with the level of service. I was told by many different people that it may be cheaper to go with a alterations shop, rather than DB but since I  bought my dress there, and wedding gown alterations are all that they do, I was much more comfortable going with them. Hope this helps! My alterations were a few hundred dollars, I'm not sure how much they would've been somewhere else but I was pleased with my dress and the customer service!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting mine altered at the Greenwood store.  I figured that since its their dress, they know it better than anyone else.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I also got my dress from a DB, but not in Castleton. I have been told by many people that they are NOT the place to go to. They are more expensive and don't do that great of a job. My wedding is July 2nd and I was told that I would only get fitted once and it would be in January. That means that for 6 months I would have to stay the exact same weight, which is rediculous. Most girls don't even get their first fitting until about 2 or 3 months before the wedding and end up having at least 2 or 3 fittings in that time. The reason most people get more than one fitting is because there tends to be other things that need to be altered to make it perfect that were not there before altering it the first time. If that happens they will be rushed to fix it and will also charge you all over again for alterations. The lady at my store also did not seem to know what she was talking about and flat out told me that she has never altered a dress like mine before. I was also told by them that when altering my dress they will more than likely end up "scaring"  it because it is all beads and lace. Basically you will be able to see that it was altered. Why sell the dress if you can't make it look perfect?I actually had a good friend on mine get a bridesmaids dress from a DB in Indy and when she went to pick it up the week before the wedding they had actually forgot to alter it. They did a half a** rush job when they figured it out . They put a drawstring in the top of the dress so that it could be pulled tighter (think of how a hood of a sweatshirt looks when pulled tigher, all bunched up) and also tried to hem it and ended up making it longer in the back than in the front. It was the day of the wedding when she got it back and you can see all of the imperfections in the wedding photos. If you decide to go with them I hope it all works out. I plan on checking out Alex's tailoring near Castleton.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Did you hear this about the DB store in Castleton? or Greenwood? I actually purchased my dress in PA, where my mom lives, and will be getting it altered here.  I called to schedule a fitting and I have an appt. in Feb, I am getting married in April. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure which store my friend bought her BM dress from. I guess the Castleton store isn't as busy as the Lafayette store I got mine from. They told me that it will take 4 months to do one alteration. I want my dress hanging in the closet for about 4 weeks so it would be January that I would have my one and only fitting ( I guess I would maintain my weight for 5, not 6 months...but still). I would go and see what they say and if you feel confident in their abilities then go for it. I just didn't and have way to many friends with horror stories for me to trust my dress with them.
  • Options
    silverbubblesilverbubble member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    where do you guys live? I actually just got my dress back after a couple fittings, but now its perfect. I did not go with the shop that i got my dress from because I did not want to pay that amount. I had a few recommendations and people I knew, that could do the work. The woman who did mine is on the south side. Look for places that all they do is alterations, many women have been doing things like that for years. I have the name of a woman who lives in Frankfort, that did a bridesmaid dress for me (found out a month b4 the wedding) and my gf's wedding gown, GREAT prices and Fantastic work. Jill    
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How do you know how much it would cost to alter the dress before you go and tell them what needs to be done? I guess I am also worried that if I took the dress to someone other then DB, where it is from, and something gets messed up, atleast if DB messes  up, they are responsible and will have to get me a new dress at no cost to me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If DB messes up and has to get you a new dress....are you really going to trust them again? Plus, will there really be enough time after figuring out that you need new dress for them to get it in and alter it all over again? If you are right before your wedding they will more than likely tell you that they can "fix" it, instead of ordering you a new one anyways.
  • Options
    shawnalynn621shawnalynn621 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    to clarify my previous post: I bought my dress at DB in castleton AND had the alterations done at that location too. I dealt with the greenwood location once, for a flower girl dress and didn't like the experience there as much as the castleton location. I had 2 fittings, they offered a 3rd but I didn't feel that it was necessary.  My first fitting was about 2 months before the wedding, then I went and picked up the dress about 3 weeks before the wedding and it was perfect!  You wont know until after the fitting how much it is going to cost but from what my friends and family have told me, a few hundred dollars can be expected. Again, hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If DB messes up and has to get you a new dress....are you really going to trust them again?No I have never gotten a dress there before, I was saying that if they messed up I would get a new dress.wow a few hundred dollars for alterations, I didn't even pay that for the dress itself.  I wish there was a way of knowing how much it cost.  I think when I go, and tell them what I want, I will ask for an estimate and if I think its too high, I can walk.Can you guys suggest someone that does really good alterations?  I live on the west side of Indianapolis, but willing to go as far north as Keystone and south as Greenwood.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Silver who would you recommend??  I am now a little nervous about DB.  My dress fits very well, its just a little full in the body, and I have a very small waist, so I am looking to get the material taken in so its more form fitting.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress at DB in greenwood.  I had a great service experience for my dress, fg dress, and BM dresses. However, I did not get my alterations done there because 1)cost and 2) because they get lots of alterations work there and didn't want it to be rushed through because of the work load.  I knew if I took it to a local shop I would feel more comfortable. Spending $200 to alter is kind of crazy in in my honest opinion. Mine had to be taken in an inch on each side and the top layer all hand work, plus a bustle for $90. I would schedule an appointment at a local shop known for doing bridal gowns first and get an estimate.I didn't even take my dress in just a photo of me in it.  She told me how far in advance she would need the dress (because of the hand work and it was prom season) and how much it would cost. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Chrissy who did you use?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Main Street Alterations in Greenwood.  Others on here have used her as well.  There is a review in my bio.She has a whole wall of photos brides have given her because she did there dress (which reminds me I need to send her one!).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great thank  you!!
  • Options
    Service there can be hit or miss, but they are very expensive either way. Go to Sonia [in Castleton] at Alex's Tailoring across from JCPennys in the strip mall. She does a lot of their bridal dresses and is very, very reasonable.
  • Options
    silverbubblesilverbubble member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used a woman named Treva.  Email me, silverbubble02 at yahoo dot com and I can give you her contact info. I got an estimated quote when i told her what was needed, adjust halter and bustle and she said 40, It ended up being 60 but that is still MUCH less than what I have seen/heard elsewhere. Fantastic work. she does them out of her home.  Has been doing alterations for a LONG time.
  • Options
    Gardini5Gardini5 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a fan of David's alterations, we went in Sunday and not only did the lady not speak a word of English, but they were rude about us being EARLY for our appt! WTF! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards