Pennsylvania

Anything?

Has anyone heard anything about the Inne of the Abingtons? So far, it's the only place I remotely like at all that isn't over $100 a plate. 

Re: Anything?

• edited December 2011
    I havent heard many good things about it there. I went to a wedding over the summer there and it was pretty, but the food was aweful! HTH
  • edited December 2011
    Yuck. Sorry.
  • lklee82lklee82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I do not know what to do!!! I can't find any place I like around here.  Any suggestions at all???
  • edited December 2011
    Whats your budget?
  • lklee82lklee82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the dinner, I really didn't want to spend over $75-80.  I'd prefer to spend much less (in the process of buying a house at the same time....STRESS).  I don't want my venue to look like a banquet hall.  I originally wanted an outdoor venue, but I couldn't find that either! I'm not having much luck.
  • edited December 2011
    What places have you looked at so far? Maybe if we know what you dont like we can all come up with more places.
  • edited December 2011
    I just looked there.Their prices are good, there is no denying that.However, I have heard, repeatedly, that the food is AWFUL. Really hit or miss, at best.When I looked at it, they had two different rooms that we could use for our wedding - The Ivy Room or the Ballroom. The Ballroom was nice, the Ivy room was very small and kind of... hokey/tacky.We have a smaller wedding, inviting about 120 or so. We were told that they would prefer to put us in the Ivy Room, but if I was going to go with that venue, I wanted the ballroom. Upon hearing that, they said they prefer to have 150 or so for the Ballroom on a Saturday night, but they would be willing to work with us in that we figured we'd have between 80 and 100 yes RSVPs, so they'd call it a minimum of 130, and even if we only had 100 guests, we could just pay for 130 and have the room.The owner was nice when he showed us around, but also REALLY pushy about us considering doing a Friday or a Sunday instead. Even when we told him we know very well that Fridays and Sundays are cheaper but they wouldn't work for us, he kept pushing and pushing.Basically, we decided not to go with the Inne of the Abingtons for two reasons:1. The bad reports about the food2. The room situation. If we did agree to use the Ivy Room, I assume they would have put another big event in the Ballroom that same night. Normally no big deal, but the Ivy Room and the Ballroom are at each end of a very short hallway and share bathrooms. I'm not a ME ME ME! bride, but I don't need a 200+ person event 10 yards away from my wedding.I just looked at a TON of places in Clarks Summit/Scranton, etc all coming in at well under $100 per plate.Seriously. We visited 10 different locations. Let me know if you'd like any more info on the Inne of the Abingtons, Montdale Country Club, Villa Maria II, The Ramada in Clarks Summit, Inn at Nichols Village, Regal Room, the Hilton in Scranton, or Via Appia in Taylor.
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • edited December 2011
    When I went to look at the Inne of the Abingtons, they did the same thing to me with the room. That Ivy room is aweful and so small. However, I felt the same way with the Montdale Country club also. They had a smaller room which they said I would have had to use also and I wasnt a fan of that one either. PP-Did you decide where you are having yours yet? I remember a while back you were looking for some places.
  • edited December 2011
    Yep, I went out to PA for two weeks and did a million visits. We narrowed it down to Nichols Village, the Ramada and Via Appia and I finally just chose the Ramada. They were all equally good, I just needed to make a choice!
    On bed rest since Groundhog's Day and every day since has been exactly the same.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Blog
  • edited December 2011
    not sure the exact area you are looking for, but Ehrhardt's Waterfront Resort was AMAZING and was like $68 per head for open bar (beer/wine/vodka pomegranate fountain) and 4 stations of hot and cold food. it was delicious. and amazing. and i can't recommend them enough. they were so great to work with.
  • lklee82lklee82 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The Inne of the Abingtons offered me the bigger room, which I actually liked.  I didn't even see the smaller one to compare, luckily I guess from the reviews.  I heard fabulous things about Montdale Country Club, but was not impressed at all once I saw the room.  I called Nicholas Village, but haven't seen it in person.  Can you offer any info about this place?  I also want to see the Milestone Ranch in Waverly; I've heard good things.  I'm very anti-banquet room so I haven't looked at the traditional places around here.  I have looked at Apple Tree Terrace and didn't like that at all.  I loved Newberry Estates, but my very good friend just had hers there so that's out.  I looked at the Irem Temple Country Club, that was okay, but not what I was looking for.  They are building an outdoor type venue, but couldn't guarantee it would be finished by 2010.  I've seen Glen Oak and Elmhurst Country Clubs, more of the same.  I want something different.  I loved the Stroudsmoor Inn, but too pricey and far away in the end.My wedding date in Sept. 18 2010 as of right now and most places are booked! I really appreciate all your help!
  • edited December 2011
    I checked out Nicholas Village. It was nice by not my style. It is also small. It only fits 120, but that looked like it would be 120 squished people. They typically do the cocktail hour on the indoor pool deck which I thought added a little flair, but it is a pool deck and knowing my friends someone would have went swimming in their suit. It did have a cute outdoor courtyard type area. But another thing to think about is it is literally under the highway overpass so it will be noisy outside.Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards