New York-Long Island
Options

bridesmaid dresses?

I'm getting married June 2010...How far in advance did you guys go with your bridesmaids to make a final decision? We've been looking, but haven't decided on dresses yet...not sure if I want everyone to wear the same dress or not?? Definitely doing same color, but maybe different styles? any ideas?? thx!

Re: bridesmaid dresses?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in July 2010 and we are all going today to order them.  I had a few ideas in my head as to what I wanted. I went with my MOH and we picked the dress.  All three of my girls are wonderful.  Anytime I ask for an opinioin they all say as long as you are happy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did my shopping/choosing already. I only took my MOH because two of the other three girls are OOT. My BMs are in the same dress and my MOH is in the same color, different style. I will be giving them ordering info around Christmas for a Juky 2919 wedding, but I am using David's bridal b/c of the OOT girls, and they only require 3 months shipping.
    imageAnniversary

RIP Dr. Irving Fishman - 10/1/19-7/25/10 - thank you for holding on for me.
    You made my wedding day complete.
  • Options
    stina11stina11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding is Aug 2010. I have the girls wearing all the same dress. I also have jr bridesmaids so its been hard for me to find a designer I like that offers dresses in their size. I talked to the boutique though and they said their dresses dont have to be ordered till Jan. So we still have time :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know about timing (I'm getting married in April 2010 and have not yet asked my girls). As I remember from my last wedding, it was about 3 months before the wedding that things needed to be ordered but I could be wrong (and please correct me if I am). My cousin had several of us throughout the country. She picked a designer and a fabric and told everyone to choose a dress already designed or let us order the material and have a dress made. Each of us had a different dress in the same color and material. The big caveat is make sure you order the material and the dresses together (same time, same boutique/website) - you have a better shot at the material all coming from the same dye lot that way. No matter the color, the dye lot makes a difference in terms of the emphasis of color (ie: a black will be their black but the dying that day could give their black a little more blue or a little more brown or a little more green, etc. and it could refelct in the shading of the color). If it's not really that important to you then don't worry about it. It really depends upon how important it is to you that the colors look completely uniform. Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also, when I shopped last time, I looked with the maids of honor and then took two of my bridesmaids (had a big party) - each with different figure flaws and/or coloring issues that others shared. That way, we could make sure the style of the dress would look good on everyone and the color I chose would also not clash with skin tone and/or hair color. As it turns out, I went with a simple sleeveless a-line black gown, which looked good on everyone. My girlfriend, who also had people from all over, sent us the manufacturer and style of two dresses she and her MOH picked out. She told us to go to bridal shops in our area and allowed us to vote on which we liked best. Still don't completely understand how we wound up with the one we did - awful bridesmaid dress contest anyone? - but she said it was the majority vote. Then she ordered them all and shipped them to us. Hope this helps. Sandey
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thanks for the ideas!!!! gonna go with my MOH (my sis) this coming sat. to get an idea of what i want to do.....
  • Options
    scoobyd266scoobyd266 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married in July 2010 and we are going to order BM's dresses in the begining of December. But, we have gone window shopping, and I am pretty sure we've already decided on "the dress". My bestie is giving birth next month and I promised her some time after the delivery to loose weight before she had to go get measured for a dress. I have been in a few summer weddings and we ordered dresses for each of them in the late Nov./Dec./Jan. area. Good luck!
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks, Scooby. Gonna check out dresses on sat. w/my MOH! I'm so undecided as to what I want to do!! - same dress or not? i was just in a wedding and we all wore the same dress...not sure if I want to do that:-) I was figuring Dec./Jan anyway - thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am also getting married in July 2010, and we began looking already.  The salon I am using has said that some of the more popular designers (including some I am considering) can take up to 5-6 months to cut and ship the dress to the salon... and from there, the girls still need to be fitted.  When I was a bridesmaid last year, we ordered our dresses 11 months out... and they came in for fittings 3 months before the wedding.  BTW, it was a good thing they came in 3 months early, b/c several of us had fitting issues and 2 of the 5 BMs didnt have dresses ready until the week before the wedding!IMO, it's always better to do it early and have peace of mind that its done.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards