New Mexico

Help with dress resources

Hi, I am new to this posting, but from the looks I will get some great advice.  My wedding is in middle of October 2009, yes this year, we just set the date (I know it is coming up quickly)... I have been to a couple of bridal shops in ABQ and most are saying 8-12 weeks for a wedding gown -- I don't have that kind of time - does anyone know of a place that will sell off the shelf?  or fast ordering.  Has anyone ordered from the internet successfully?  If so where?  And who did your alterations?  It is an informal wedding, I don't want a really long train, a chapel length would be ok, but I do want something that resembles a wedding dress (not a short dress).  Thank you in advance for help suggestions! 

Re: Help with dress resources

• edited December 2011
    Have you tried David's bridal??  I got my dress and walked out...all they have to do is do the alterations and that should only take 2-3 weeks.
  • edited December 2011
    I can attest to House of Brides.  They're out of Chicago (where I live) and very quick and reputable.
  • edited December 2011
    Try jcrew.com or Dillards. If you don't mind getting a used gown, try Budget Bridal on 4th Street here. Another option would be preownedweddingdresses.com or oncewed.com. I'm not getting a dress from the Internet but I had a friend who did and it worked out OK. The fabric looked a little flimsy though.Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Speacial Moments. It is an amazing Bridal shope with an amazing staff. They are in the San Mateo and Lomas area. I got an Alfred Angelo dress, it only took about 3 week to come in and my alterations only took about a week. I got the alterations done at Chyioko's Creations. She is on San Mateo across from the Peter Piper. Good Luck and I hope this helps
  • kylesgrl05kylesgrl05 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also got mine a david's bridal.  We put it on layaway because we didn't have all the cash right away but if we had we would have been able to just walk out with it.  They have a great range of sizes also, my dress just has to get cleaned because it fit perfectly so I don't have to get it alterd. 
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • tarcyrtarcyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all. I did check special moments, she does have some great dresses, but none that fit quite right. I will go check budget bridal too -- I just met someone at Dillard's today that said they are great.   I have avoided David's bridal, because I thought you had to make an appointment -- can you just walk in? 
  • melishka716melishka716 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You do have to make an appointment for DB...But a words of caution: Poor customer service
  • edited December 2011
    I second the poor customer service at David's Bridal - however I think if you go at an off-time during the week, it's better than it is on the weekends. Have you tried Darlene's on Menaul? The ladies there are so sweet and knowledgeable. They might be able to help you figure something out.
  • edited December 2011
    You right the dresses do fit a little funny at Speacial Moments. However, its only because they dont have your perfect size in store. I was worried about that when I got my dress. Once I ordered the dress and tried it on it was a perfect fit. They do the same thing at Davids Bridal. Unless you can find one off the rack, but I think thats kind of rare. I also agree on thier customer service. Its not the best. I loved thier dresses but didnt like the treatment!
  • edited December 2011
    I got mine at Darlene's on Menual. She was absolutely amazing. She was very helpful, had me try on many different dresses, and I'm sure she would be really great with getting your dress as soon as you need it.I also had bad experiences with David's Bridal. I even made an appointment (11am on a friday, first appointment of the day,when no one else was in the store) & received no help whatsoever. The lady just told me to look around, try on whatever I wanted, and let her know if I liked anything. Never saw her again until I went to the front to get the name of the bridesmaid dress I liked. but I'm pretty sure i won't be getting it from there, I just didn't like the way the store was run. No one was helpful at all.
  • edited December 2011
    i got my dresses at alfred angelo, took about a month for them to come in. I had a great experience there and didn't end up going anywhere else.
  • tarcyrtarcyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Did you buy it online at alfred angelo's website or where?  thanks!    
  • edited December 2011
    I got my dress at Alfred Angelo at Uptown and it arrived within 2 weeks. They told me 8 weeks but it came in 2. I love the dress but the customer service is a D at best. I won't be going there for bridesmaid dresses even though they give a $25.00 discount since I bought my dress there. That might also help you out though since you are on a tight schedule you can get all your dresses at the same place. :-) Also there is an AWESOME alterations shop where Eubank and Juan Tabo meet by Horse and Angel, I think it's called Martinezing. Good luck girl!
  • tarcyrtarcyr member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you everyone - I went to Budget Bridal and found a wonderful dress - and it was off the shelf!  YEA.  thank you everyone for advice.  
  • jesunm2008jesunm2008 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can buy Alfred Angelo dresses off the shelf. I did not get mine there but I tried some on.  They are in Uptown.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards