Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Thursday night weddings

Has anyone had a Thursday night wedding?  I'd like to hear how it went.  My fiance and I are considering a Thursday night wedding because our party is so small (so we wont' have to meet any minimums) but I have some reservations.

Re: Thursday night weddings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    If you have lots of out of towners, I'd advise against it. I just flew out to Omaha for a Friday night wedding. The trip was justified in that we were able to spend the weekend with family in the area, but it was tough for me to get in a full day of work (I'm a teacher, and only teach until 2:30) in time to make my one-hour flight at 4:30. As it was, I had to miss the ceremony. I felt rushed and frazzled all day. A Thursday would require those who are traveling to take an extra full day off work in all likelihood, which could be asking a lot if they're already shelling out just to cover traveling expenses. If the flight/drive is a long one, they may have to leave work early on the Thursday, too. If everyone's local, your only consideration is going to be that guests may be less likely to stay late because they'll have to work the next day. As a guest, it might annoy me a little, but if I was close to the bride and groom, I'd suck it up and adapt. Hope this helps!
    Wedding Date: January 16th, 2010

Cycle #5: BFP on June 14, 2011 -- Due Date: February 23, 2012 -- Born: February 26, 2012
  • Options
    deerfield07deerfield07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding only consists of immediate family and friends.  The furthest anyone would be driving is 2.5 hours.  I felt that since no one was from really out of town, that it would be ok.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't know, I probably wouldn't love it as a guest. The problem is (of course) that the guests are going to have to go to work the next morning (or take another day off)--to me, that dampens the mood, even if every consideration is made by the bride and groom.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a very do-able idea in your case- but since there are so few people, could you actually ask each of them how they feel about it? (I think you'll be able to tell if they are just going along with it to be nice). My guess is you'll save alot of money, even if you have traditional vendors like photo, video, florist, etc- on a Thursday, I bet you could talk down the prices. I say at least seriously look into it. What are you reservations about it?
  • Options
    deerfield07deerfield07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My only reservation is that people won't want to come and it wouldn't be as much fun as say a weekend wedding.  I have thougt about a Sunday evening wedding but a Thursday evening wedding, to me, just sounds more enjoyable.
  • Options
    amylee4835amylee4835 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it's a great idea!  It's a nice excuse for a long weekend and people shouldn't have any grips about taking a day or two off!  I wouldn't even bother asking people, it it's a small group that's close and you are even toying with the idea, then i'm sure that's because you know it would be fine with everyone.  People get vacation time at their jobs for a reason!  (Although I do see where the teacher is coming from.  Not likely they would be comfortable with the idea of taking a day or two off for a wedding. I wanted a Friday night wedding and my MOH and one BM are teachers so I had to pick a Friday in the summer.)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its your wedding do whatever you want (well you need to take the fiance into consideration also) If people don't want to go on a Thursday then they won't be there but those are probably the same people that wouldn't come to a Sunday night.  We're going to a Monday afternoon wedding in Disney. We both need to take time off of work, get plane tickets and a hotel room, but its for a close friend so we're willing to do it. Also my fiance works weekends alot so getting a Saturday or Sunday off for him is harder than a Thursday.  I would ask your guest list (or at least the key players, Moms, Dads, MOH, best man) but if they are cool with it, go for it. My theory is all I need is me, him, and a pretty dress.
  • Options
    w8tilucmew8tilucme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be thrilled with a thursday night wedding.  I have a hard enough time with Holiday Weekend weddings.  I think (just reading posts over the years) it will not be a huge party time and people will leave early...probably even before you cut the cake.
  • Options
    spizlett410spizlett410 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am actually having a Thursday night wedding.  We are inviting about 130 people, but the furthest anyone is about an hour away.  We did this because my FI and I are paying for it ourselves so it's cheaper with vendors and minimums.  We actually wanted a Friday, but they were all booked up at the place we wanted for the month we wanted.  This may sound horrible, but we figured having it on a Thursday might lower our guest count because people wouldn't be able to make it.  We know a Thursday can be hard, so we told people we would love to have them if they can make it, but we wouldn't be offended if they couldn't come due to scheduling with work.However, it has been the opposite reaction- everyone has been saying Great! We'll take off Friday and make a long weekend of it.I am sort of worried because our wedding starts at 5pm and people might get stuck in traffic.
  • Options
    Scarlet856Scarlet856 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having a thurs. night wedding - but its NYE so Friday is a holiday. I think that if its a smallish wedding those close to you will likely take friday off anyway!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My MOH had her wedding on a Thursday afternoon - It was kind of stressful, but she only invited 40 people. We all still had a good time, but I would never do it myself
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, I'd find a Thursday night wedding to be a huge hassle.  Your wedding party would likely need to take 3 days off of work, assuming your rehearsal would be on Wednesday (and if they only have 2 weeks vacation, that's 30% of their vacation days for your wedding).Have you looked into restaurants with private rooms.  You might have better luck meeting their minimums without having to have it on a weeknight.I think with a Thursday, you will have a lot of people who can't/won't attend and it will not be the party atmosphere that a weekend wedding would be.
    Kate ~ Mommy to Matthew 3/29/07 & Kylie 12/30/08 & Chase 3/31/11
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    One of my best friends had a thursday night wedding and it was great!  I think it is becoming a bit more popular because you can save a lot of money.  She didn't have any OOT's and figured that whoever wanted to be there would find a way to make it.  I personally took off thursday and friday from work, but some people still had to work on friday.  So the wedding wasn't super late, but it was still a great time.  It was a smaller wedding, about 115 people.  I say you should do what is best for you, and your guests will make whatever arrangements they need to in order to come to your wedding.  GL!!!
  • Options
    desistoldesistol member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My brother had a Thurs night wedding in NYC. Our family all lives in MA, and honestly pretty much none of them went.  I had to go because he's my brother and I was a bridesmaid- but I wasn't happy.  This also meant the rehearsal dinner was on Wed night!  So I had to take 3 days off which is a lot to ask I think.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards