Massachusetts-Boston
Options

Please help.

Hi everyone, So I thought I was doing super planning my wedding, and I have a wicked supportive guy. ( For some reason I hate the word fiance) We have everything set. The hall, the DJ, The catering, the ceremony site, or so we thought. We got a phone call yesterday telling us that we can't get married in the chapel that we wanted to because they found out the Alan is protestant. Truth be told I wanted an outdoor wedding anyways, but to please mum we went with this chapel. Anyways, now I am in a bad spot because I have nowhere to get married. I need suggestions. I can't changed the date because we already have 5 times. So I need a location to accommodate 175 people close to Boston on August 7th (within 20 miles the reception is in Dorchester) Please help if you can!Thanks!Amanda
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please help.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Hmm my FI is protestant and they would let us get married in a church...I assume you mean Catholic right?
  • Options
    acollupyacollupy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know that in the Catholic church the Bride or the Groom (not both) has to be Catholic and have had made all sacraments (Communion and Confirmation) in order for you to be married in a Church. I know my Church St. Gregory's in Dorchester will allow you to marry.You both will have to attend Pre-Cana or Engaged Encounter together in order to be married in the church but these really are the only requirements, other than the fact if one has been previously married it does have to be annuled (but I doubt that is the case here).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Alanda, just guessing but your mother sounds a bit like my parents.  I wanted an outdoor ceremony, so we hired a retired priest (he left to start a family).  The parents don't love it, but to them it's "better" than a JP.  I can give you his info if you want!
  • Options
    w8tilucmew8tilucme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would just get a list of churches in the area you are looking and call.  My husband wanted a church wedding and he is a non practicing Catholic and I am protestant.  We could have gotten married at Merrimack College but he didn't want a Catholic ceremony (go figure huh?) We had a hard time finding a church that would marry us. I ended up calling around and found a wonderful place that was PERFECT! (sorry north of boston)
  • Options
    jkeprosjkepros member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am getting married at Emmanuel Church in Boston (15 Newbury St).  They will allow anyone to get married there--we're using a JP, and they will even do same-sex ceremonies.  It's pretty expensive compared to other churches, and there isn't a parking lot (we booked a shuttle), but they are VERY open.  Like pp I'd suggest starting by contacting churches in the area.  Maybe google map your reception location and do a search for "church" to map out all of the closest options.  GL!!!!    
    Yay! Finally able to update my signature :)
    by Shannon Sorensen Photography
    My hubby & I rock the frock.
    Bio
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would look for churches in Quincy or maybe Braintree.  My reception is at The Venezia in Dorchester and we our ceremony is at Saint Clare's Church in Braintree. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Future Mrs Pase's suggestion is probably the perfect one. There are other churches too that you might consider. The UUA doesn't have any kind of restrictions. The Arlington Street church in Boston is gorgeous. It costs 3K (FI is UU so we looked at it), but if you are really in a hard spot and still thinking about a church to please your family, this would be breathtaking, and I know it would accommodate all your guests for sure. Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Most Protestant churches do not have the same restrictions that Catholic churches do. Unfortunately, to some Catholics (like perhaps your mom, it sounds), a Protestant church may as well be in a field somewhere. If you still think that a church wedding is what you and FI want, look at any number of churches in the area: Presbyterian, UCC, UU, Methodist, Congregational, Baptist, Episcopalian, etc. If you want an outdoor wedding, then maybe this is the perfect opportunity to make that happen. GL!
  • Options
    Alanda1318Alanda1318 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thank you for all of your input! Apparently the priest here is just a jerk he will not allow any person who isn't Catholic get married there. Even if they sign the form, the only option is for them to convert with him. We are trying to look for an outdoor site now, because Alan's mum freaked out about the whole Catholic church thing. (wow it's tough having two very religious mum's in two different religions.) So if you have any ideas on outdoor places that just do ceremonies without the reception I would REALLLLY appreciate your input! Thank you ladies!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Blueyed228Blueyed228 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If both your moms are very religious, you might want to reconsider getting married outside. I wanted to do an outside ceremony and my catholic fiance is adament about having a church ceremony. My sister pointed out to me that if you dont get married in a church, your children will be considered "out of wedlock" in the churches eyes. (COMPLETLY REDIC I know). However, if your kids want to get married in a church, they will have to jump through major hoops. If I am correct, you also will not be able to baptise them in the catholic church either. My cousin is having this problem now, she got married in a non demoninatiol church and she cant find anyone to christen him. Like I said, my facts may not be totally correct, but its just something to think about.
    045_45-1 photo 045_45-1.jpg
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards