Delaware
Options

Passports

Any info on getting them would be greatly appreciated.  I've never been out of the country before (Canada hardly counts :P) and I really don't know what to bring or where to go to get a passport.  I checked online but the site was only slightly helpful.  One of the girls at work said to do it early, and tell the people we need it about a month before we actually do...thoughts?  TIA :)
*Lauren*
Married Bio! Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Passports

• Options
    edited December 2011
    First, you need to get passport pics (any Happy Harrys will do them).  Then, either go oline and download the form and fill out or go to post office and fill out there.  They will take/process your application at the post office.  Dont forget your 2 pics, a blank check (I think it was about $100) and your birth certificate (which they will keep, but sent back a few weeks later - seperate from the passport.) I already had my passport, but  Tonys took a few weeks to get back.  Do it as early as possible - it can take a few months.
  • Options
    lmicoluccilmicolucci member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, do it early.  The post office only processes passports at certain time on certain days. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didnt know that Lura - I guess we lucked out and walked in at one of those times...  
  • Options
    kasey12kasey12 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not sure how close you live to Middletown- but the Middletown Post Office will do take your photo too....you just have to get there before 4pm, Mon- Friday. And just like everyone else stated, do it early.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto about doing it early. FI just had to get a new one and it took about 6 weeks.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much everyone, I really appreciate it :)  Do you think it would be too soon to get this done within the next month or two?
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    not at all!  Get it done & off your list!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, cool...any idea how long they're good for?
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think its 10 years
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    WOW, awesome :)  Thanks again!!
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto everything PPs said, EXCEPT for one thing.If you plan on changing your name, don't do it right now, because you will end up paying an extra $100.  I would do around 5-6 months before the wedding.  The reason I say that is if you change your name in the one year period after getting your passport, they will do the name change on it for free.  If it's over a year, though, you have to pay another $100 to have your name changed.  Most people don't realize this, but it's why I am waiting until a little closer to the wedding.Also, keep in mind that if you are going on your honeymoon right after the wedding, book everything in your maiden name, so that it matches your passport.  If it doesn't match, you can be detained, and that's no fun.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ugh, I knew changing my name was going to be a pain in the rear...The wedding is in 7 and a half months, so I figured doing it next month or so would be good...also, the wedding is Saturday and then we're flying out Friday, 6 days after the wedding.  In those 6 days, I was planning on getting all my name change crap done and squared away, so by the time we leave for the HM, I should be officially Mrs.  Does this seem reasonable or is changing my name going to take longer?  I haven't done a whole lot of research on the process so I apologize for being niave :/
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am not sure how long it takes to change your name :/  Jackie or Steph would be able to help you with that, though my gut reaction is to tell you a week may not be enough time- ask them, they would know for sure.Either way, you probably should still book your tickets and all in your maiden name, because a week is not enough time to get your passport name changed- you have to send it off, and it takes the normal 6 weeks.  The only difference is you won't have to pay for it.  And I can't imagine that they would let you get your passport prior to the wedding with a different name.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Honestly, I doubt you could do it that quick...  I had my parents send in a check and request for the certified lisc.  the Tues after the wedding, and I just received it yesterday (over 3 weeks). Definately have your travel documents in your maiden - itll save you lots of stress!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sooo...do everything in my maiden name, and then as long as I'm in the year time-frame with the passport, I can get my new name put on it after the HM?  You girls are the best, thanks for putting up with all the Q's :)
    *Lauren*
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Haha, thanks!  Boy am I glad I asked :/  That could have been awful...so I guess I'll take those 6 days to chill with DH (!!) and deal with the name change when I get back.  On a related topic, has anyone used MissnowMrs.com?  It seems super easy and convenient.
    *Lauren*
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards