Jewish Weddings

When to do Mezinke?

For those of you who did it, when during the reception did you do the mezinke for your mothers? Also, what kinds of flowers did you use in the crowns? TIA!

Re: When to do Mezinke?

• edited December 2011
    the Mezinke is done for both parents (at least it was for us) that is, my mother and father, because they were marrying off their last/only child. My moms friend made wreaths out of fake flowers that looked very real (I hate fake flowers, btw but these looked great). We did it towards the end of the evening, after the dinner, before dessert.
  • tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At my first wedding, we did it midway through the reception, closer to the end than the beginning. First we did a quick thank you to our guests with a couple special callouts and then ended with thank you's to our parents -- the perfect segue into the crowning. After the crowning, we cut the cake. We were the last for both sets of parents so both sets of parents sat up there, but only the mothers were crowned. (FWIW, the ex- and his parents were Catholic, but his parents loved the idea and were happy to participate; we told them my parents were doing it and left it up to them if they wanted to join or not.) My mother very specifically did not want a crown that wrapped around the head (to quote her, the kind that looked like a Jesus crown of thorns) so we had them made in a headband style. The florist made them, and I honestly don't remember what kind of flowers they were.
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our florist used white flowers -- so pretty. We did it I think right after dessert. It was my grandmother and mother since my father still has an unmarried child (my younger half-sister) -- and I'm the only grandchild on my mother's side (and my uncle died before he married, so my grandmother never had one).
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    That is so nice Shoshie--should I include my Grandma? I will be the last grandchild to get married...although one is now divorced and can technically remarry.
  • edited December 2011
    also - what song did you use during the ceremony?? this is great info!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBabyName Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Air on G string for the Bridal Party, Canon in D for me and my parents and then Sunrise, Sunset for the encirclement. Our recessional is Simon Tov
  • ShoshieShoshie member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is a song for the Mezinke (you band or DJ should be able to get it). It is up to you about having your grandma in it -- I included her because she never got to have one for her last child. I don't see why you couldn't :)
    Adam & Shoshie 10-21-07: "My family is big and loud and everybody's in each other's lives and business. ... but wherever I go, they will always be there." * My Blog: Tales of a Hopeful Jewish Mom to Be * BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards