Catholic Weddings

Color of Dress

Does the color of the dress matter in a Catholic Wedding? My FI and I are having a discussion if it matters in a Catholic wedding. Thanks :)

Re: Color of Dress

• ring_popring_pop member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nope.
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • agapecarrieagapecarrie member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There is no rubric for the bride's dress...

however, there is symbolism in white liturgically. White vestments are worn for weddings and Easter and Christmas Season...symbol of joy. A white garment is used for baptisms, as well as the white paul placed on a casket...it connects their life/death with their baptism in Christ.

In addition is the first communion dress....so you can see that white garments are the traditional garment for receiving sacraments.

This does NOT mean a particular technical shade of white should be used over "ivory" or anything like that. I'm including all the white "type" shades.
  • edited December 2011
    Thank You. I knew white or shades of was traditional, but I didn't know if it was a requierment.
  • edited December 2011
    Not that I am aware of. And if there was a restriction, I am sure our priest would have enforced it.
  • mica178mica178 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think so.  I married in light ivory.  My priest didn't say anything about my dress during our pre-marriage meetings other than he trusted that I would choose something "appropriate for the church."  
  • blush64blush64 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, the church won't mind if you wear a different colour. My mother wore blue. I know of people who have worn grey.  White does hold some symbolism but most women weren't married in white not that long ago. White has only become a lot more popular somewhat recently.  A while back women would have worn their best Sunday dress to get married in.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    not that im aware of, but my mother always said red bridesmaid gowns should be avoided as they "symbolize the devil".  but i think that's bunk.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_color-of-dress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:ebafb0f1-b301-41c3-8ca9-6ebabb504a79Post:d8b7043d-95c2-49b0-9882-c3f0a4a16023">Re: Color of Dress</a>:
    [QUOTE]not that im aware of, but my mother always said red bridesmaid gowns should be avoided as they "symbolize the devil".  but i think that's bunk.
    Posted by Calypso1977[/QUOTE]

I agree it is probably bunk because isen't red the color of the Holy Spirt.
  • edited December 2011
    I knew I read this somewhere over the past year-  but this sheds some light on why everyone wants to wear white: "Queen Victoria married Albert of Saxe in 1840, and wore what would then have been considered a flamboyant white gown. Of course, this did not start the tradition immediately; however, many women saw this as a statement of class and style, and copied the Queen by also getting married in white.

The white wedding dress in those days had nothing to do with being virtuous -- it was all about wealth. Getting married in a white, extravagant gown was a sign that you could afford to buy a dress that you would never be able to wear again because of its style and colour (whites were not easy to clean in those days as they are today!). "  Mary Queen of Scots wore white as well, before Queen Victoria,  but her choice was a fashion faux pas b/c at that time,  white was the color of mourning in France.
    BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards