Pennsylvania-Philadelphia
Options

coffee at reception?!

I have the most random questions, I know, but I appreciate everyone's answers.  Thank GOD for knot boards!!  Sooo my tentative caterer recently put together a proposal for me and along with the desserts she has a coffee station.  I'm trying to save on cost and I just can NOT imagine people drinking coffee, especially the type of crazy drinkers we are inviting!  People won't want coffee... they will want the after-party!  Is it typical to offer coffee, decaf and hot tea?  If not, I'm cutting the whole thing.  If so, I guess it is what it is.  Thoughts?!  Thanks everyone!

Re: coffee at reception?!

• Options
    ButtonsPepperButtonsPepper member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone at every table (other then me cause I'm not a coffee drinker) wanted coffee. I wanted tea. It's been like this at almost every wedding I've been to. Esp. older people. I think most people expect to have coffee/tea at the end of the reception. If you can swing it, I would def. make sure it's included...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree, coffee and tea is pretty normal.  Is the bar staying open while coffee is served?  If so, I don't see the issue.  Maybe ask if you can include some "adult" mixers like Bailey's and Kahlua and Irish Whiskey if you think your guests will want the option?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm confused a bit. Coffee & tea are normally served at no additional cost. What is meant by "coffee station". That sounds fancy. Can you ask for just tea and coffee to be offered? And yes, you should most definitely serve tea and coffee. People might want to sober up; non drunk drivers will want some and so forth.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is normal - however if youre paying for a station like Val said you probably are getting more than just coffee and tea, probably some cordials and whatnot as well.. So I would also just ask for it to be served as opposed to an add-on station.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I drink tea with desert, most people drink coffee though.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for not reading everyone else's posts first. I agree with Val on not needing a "coffee bar", just coffee and tea at the table will be fine. Usually if anyone wants it after desert they will ask and a server will bring it out.
  • Options
    EatonpoosayEatonpoosay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is this serious? You want to save money and cut out coffee? What's it like $200? Almost everyone drinks coffee. Wow.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK maybe I'm just a big booze drinker and never noticed anyone ever drinking coffee at the end of a reception.  I'm not trying to be cheap and that's what this board is for, right?  Ask questions that we do not know the answer to because I HAVE NEVER PLANNED A WEDDING BEFORE.  I have no problem paying a few hundred bucks to serve it.  Thanks to everyone for your respectable responses... and for those of you who think being sarcastic on a wedding message board is appropriate, maybe you should stick to "Eaton Poosay".. So weird to get such aggressive responses about a simple question.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    E, there is a way to get your point across in a nice way. Chill. She really didn't know.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you should definitely include coffee and tea. Since we aren't getting a typical "package" we are paying for all elements separately and it seems you are as well (which may be confusing to those that have a full package). Our coffee and tea service is $2.50/person. I think that equals out to @ $500 since we are having over 200 guests. You might be able to ask your caterer to have coffee and tea service for approximately half the guests, perhaps you could cut some costs that way?
  • Options
    EatonpoosayEatonpoosay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry Val I just was wondering what Juan Valdez would think. I just don't know how anyone could think coffee wasn't a necessary inclusion. What do people always serve with cake? Umm, coffee.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, it seems logical to some and not to others. That's just the way it is but it's ok if someone asks the question. We are here to help each other - stupid question or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm not even having a cake at my wedding, but thanks so much for your response.  I'll make sure to hire a barista on the big day.
  • Options
    CA2PABride2BeCA2PABride2Be member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    taccoten - I think you have to do what's best for you and your budget.  A lot of people on the board love to talk about what's expected/not expected but wedding's are not cheap and your wedding's not going to be ruined by coffee or no coffee.
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    183 image 128 image 55 image 0 image RSVP Date: June 4, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    CA, I agree with you there but I don't think cutting coffee or tea is the place to cut costs. Flowers, dress, etc. would be the way to go. I really think people love to have coffee and tea at weddings. I mean, it's not a deal breaker but I can see people being surprised if it wasn't served. Ask to see if you can have it as simple as possible and maybe pay per cup or something.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ironically I was just at a wedding friday night and they did not serve coffee or tea.. However, I do think I heard some people questioning this and wondering where it was. So I definitely woudlnt cut it all together.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I know my family would definately be upset if they didn't get their coffee.  Serious coffee drinkers have it multiple times a day.I think I saw that you aren't having cake, but are you serving dessert? Coffee and tea are complimentary to dessert, so I would serve it if you can.
  • Options
    w8tilucmew8tilucme member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yes coffee at reception
  • Options
    dnldjttdnldjtt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    are you sure it's not a coffee bar?  my venue offers that as an option, where you can add cordials and all to the coffee.  it is an add on to their packages that i thought originally would be different and i was going to do it at first, but decided not to at the last minute.  you should confirm that.  if it's the basic coffee and tea, pony up the cash for it and keep it moving.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards