Colorado-Denver

Anyone getting/got married in a park?

I'm thinking about having our wedding and reception at a local park and was wondering if anyone else got married, or are getting married, in a park. did you use the park facilities, like the pavilion. did you rent a tent? We are thinking about renting a tent, I don't like the pavilion. Then we'd have to have a generator to provide electricity. It's really inexpensive and right about now, we need inexpensive. Thanks.
Shellie & Ken 10-22-11

Re: Anyone getting/got married in a park?

• edited December 2011
    We got married in Chautauqua Park in Boulder but went without a pavilion or tent. Just crossed our fingers for good luck, and got it! We were also looking for something super inexpensive (free) and it worked out great. The only problem we had was actually with the rental company's time frame for delivering chairs and tables. The needed to deliver and pickup from the same place and didn't tell me until 3 days before. Otherwise it worked out perfect. As for the tent, just check and see if the park has any requirements for the stakes. Some parks need you to put the stakes in sand bags/buckets. Good luck!
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks! I didn't think about the stakes. When I talked to the parks department today, she said two weeks before someone would go over with me where we could put the tent and so on. I've got just over a year so there's no rush yet.
    Shellie & Ken 10-22-11
  • edited December 2011
    I didn't get married in a park, but I definitely looked into it for the cost factor. The thing to keep in mind is there is no alcohol allowed (that made up my mind!). If that doesn't deter you, just try to book as far in advance as possible, as all the popular spots fill up fast.
  • edited December 2011
    Some parks do allow alcohol with an additional permit. For Chautauqua it was a $25 fee and an additional $100 deposit. I think it just depends on the park and city.
  • edited December 2011
    Another thing I hadn't thought of. Not that big of a deal since there's only a few of our guests who drink. Thanks for bringing that up.
    Shellie & Ken 10-22-11
  • edited December 2011
    Oh! But that reminds me! Glass can be an issue. We had to avoid anything glass. Sound would be another thing to check into if you are having the reception there.
  • edited December 2011
    I got married in City Park at the Pavillion.  We made it look A LOT nicer than just being underneath the pavilion.  It was awesome because you were shaded if it rained and you weren't in grass that could be wet, etc.  We paid a little extra to have alcohol and it was definitely an inexpensive option.  I would definitely recommend it and it was beautiful...it's all about how you make it look.  We got LOTS of compliments.  I also looked at Wash Park and have pictures of that if you want to look at those too.  If you want more information feel free to email me...I'm not on here as much anymore.kellyraeburton at yahoo dot com.
  • edited December 2011
    So many things to think about. Thanks ladies! I'm in Fort Collins so I'll have to check and see what their policies are. The pavilion would be nice because of the grass thing, but it's right next to the playground. Not so fond of children and having them so close would annoy me. There will only be a few that aren't related to us at the wedding so I can handle those. So let's see, glass, alcohol, stakes - anything else I should add to my planning?
    Shellie & Ken 10-22-11
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards