Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Is anyone making their own cake/cupcakes?

What's your plan of attack? Getting any help? How did you choose a recipe? I wanted to make my own cake, but we had a DW, and I'm so curious about those who are acutally going to do it!

Re: Is anyone making their own cake/cupcakes?

• baystateapplebaystateapple member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I were planning on having my friend bake our wedding cake until we found out that the cake was included in our reception costs.

If you are going to go the DIY on your cake route, make sure that either you or whoever you decide to have make your cake realize that a wedding cake is much, much different from a regular cake.  Unless your number of guests is very small, you're looking at a very big cake.  Also, make sure that you have the room and capacity to bake the cake on site, or adequate transportation for the cake to the site.  It is possible, but there are a lot of questions to ask before you decide to go ahead with the DIY option.  Best of luck, and I hope you have a wonderful wedding!

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• moslimosli member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i'm still debating about this. I'm not a cake person, so ideally i'd like to do a desert table with a smaller cake and a few other options that i'd make myself about a week before. But the FI wants a grand cake, so it kind of depends on who wins that boxing match (and how the money is looking)
  • ccenter1ccenter1 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Its extremely hard to plan your wedding, get everything together and make your own cake. I'm a cake decorator full time and I'm not even going to attempt that. Especially if you want it to be fresh you'll be making it the day before and even a small simple cake takes hours to do if you know how to decorate. I wouldn't unless you really know what you're doing and have help. Its just added stress.
  • edited December 2011
    umm . . . HELL to the NO!  I decorated cakes professionally . . .met every bridzilla in the process and I would not want that stress for my own wedding.  I am having small cakes on each table as a centerpiece. Plain frosted with a different candy on top of each. That way my way more ornate cake is smaller and more cost effective.  Worse come to worse order them with pretty colors from Sam's Club, BJ's or Costco.  BUT remember someone has to be responsible for getting them to the venue and setting it up that day.  YOU will be busy that day Wink
    "I reject your reality and substitute my own." "Who doesn't LOVE candy?" Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • sarabellamsarabellam member
    5 Love Its First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I made my own cake, and unless you are very experienced with making wedding cakes, I wouldn't recommend it. This is the kind of stuff that I do:
     and
    DSC_0103.jpg image by cltindall
  • edited December 2011

I appreciate the responses ladies, though I'm already married! I was just curious if anyone HAD done it and HOW they'd pulled it off. =)

• edited December 2011
    I'm making my own! i'm doing a small cake for us to cut then cupcakes for the guests. I haven't picked a flavor or recipe yet. but the decorations on them aren't going to be anything special, maybe just some sugar pearls or something like that. Big thing is to make sure to use the exact same amount of batter in each cupcake. Not to stressed about it. it's just cake. Doing my own food to!
  • Ken&CassKen&Cass member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I read earlier today online that according to 'victorian traditions' it's bad luck for a bride to make her own cake.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    my aunt and her daughter, my cousin are making cupcakes for us.  They're really excited about it and are taking a cupcake making class together.  I've told my cousin, who's 10, can do WHATEVER she wants as long as it's in the color scheme of our wedding.  And honestly, I couldn't really care less if they look like crap (which they won't).   The look of happiness on her face when I told her she was in charge was enough for me.  Having said that, we're having a pretty casual beach wedding, so it doesn't really matter.  I honestly don't care if I have a perfect wedding cake or not.  So, if you're like me, go ahead and make your cake / cupcakes or ask a friend or family member to do it for you.
  • rasvim87rasvim87 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am making several small angel food cakes for my own wedding. It's the only cake that both me and FI like. I will make individual ones for each guest and have various fruit purees. I bake for a living though so it wont be a huge task for me. My guest list is also only about 40 people.
  • edited December 2011
    i am  making my own cake...its cost effective and i know what i want and what im gonna expect out of it....im a cake decorator by profession and love the whole DIY stuff...however, get this, the boys are doing his grooms cake....i'm gona love seeing that. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards