Wedding Etiquette Forum

Find your soc. sec. cards and birth certificates!

A reminder to all brides in planning. Please locate your and FI's social security cards and birth certificates. You may need both to get your marriage license! I couldn't find my s.s. card the day before we were going to county clerk's office. Had to go apply for a new one and we were able to use the piece of paper you get when you apply for a new one. Just think someone should warn people!

Re: Find your soc. sec. cards and birth certificates!

• We did not need our birth certificates, but thank you for reminding me to order a new one. I haven't had a birth certificate since I was 11. Luckily, I got a passport right before my mom lost my birth certificate, so I've used that for everything.
    Leo says hi. He's...special.
    Married
    Planning
  • My parents still have my birth certificate and Dh's mom still has his adoption/naturalization papers. They are keeping them forever (or until we move out of the state) because it's safer that way.
  • I didn't need either; we only needed the numbers and information. You need to know the requirements of the state you're marrying in, which you can easily Google. I DID need to know the exact date of my divorce, and realized that I'd forgotten to look at my divorce papers before we left, and I had to call the lawyer's office to get the date.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • I've heard from several people that in my state, you just need a DL. Way to go California.But I'll probably bring my SS, birth certificate and passport just to be safe.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Thanks Laura....each state is different, so look up the requirements for your state.  Getting married in FL, actually do not need either of the documents, just driver license.
  • we just needed id and ss card.
  • msmer... apparently each *county* in California is different. You have to check the county you're getting married in to see if you need a Birth Certificate or not. I learned this after wondering why the CA site just said a birth certificate was "recommended" but not "required. Unless the internets are lying to me. Which is possible :)
  • Counties in PA are different as well - some require your SS card, others don't.
  • Ditto the divorce date.  Fortunately I knew DH's date, since he didn't have any idea other than the year.  My ex-H actually called me from the marriage license office to find out the date we were divorced when he was in Vegas to marry his next ex-wife.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Yeah, the funny part about the divorce date: when I called the lawyer's office, the secretary was the only one in the office. She couldn't get the drawer unlocked (there was a problem with the key), and gave me the courthouse number. I tried the courthouse, got a voicemail. A few minutes later, she called me back, and she'd just called the opposing attorney's office to get the date. My brother was in the car, and he found this HIGHLY amusing. Needless to say, he did NOT like the ex, but really likes DH. Found the irony well-suited. I new the month and year (and knew the date of separation), but not the date of divorce.
    Do not mess in the affairs of dinosaurs because you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
    I love you Missy. Even though you are not smart enough to take online quizzes to find out really important information. ~cew
  • Good thing you got it relatively easy, Missy.  I laughed because DH was a little freaked out that I knew his divorce date.  But since I'm practically counting the minutes until his alimony sentence ends, of course I knew it!  And mine happens to be his ex-W's birthday.  Oh, the irony . . . .
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Funny, I don't think we had to show any sort of identification at all to get a marriage license in West Virginia!
  • They didn't even ask us for ID when we applied!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • LesPaul, that office was incredible. I'd never needed a lawyer before. I got legal advice before I walked from my uncle's sister, but she couldn't represent me (different county, family, etc). My minister gave me his name - he was a member of the same church. He also happened to have kids at the school where I taught. He cut his price in half. I met with him that afternoon (my dad had flown in and we met a "moving and security/bouncers" crew to move my stuff out of the house) with my father. He met with me multiple times, never jacked up the price, etc. Hugged me when it was all over. They became like a family for me. His paralegal also had kids at the school, and always checked in on me/how I was adjusting when she was at school. She didn't have to do that for me, but I'm not the least bit surprised she did. Always above and beyond.
  • We only had to have our driver's licenses. In Illinois the rules vary from county to county too apparently because a friend needed her BC too. They did ask us if we were related though! No proof required on that one either, which makes me wonder...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We only needed a picture ID. Although I was pissed because I gave all of my information and then they filled out the marriage license stating FI first middle and last name and only my first and last name. What happened to my middle name? I am going to see how hard it will be to get that fixed. Or if it will cost more money.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Whether you need them depends on your state.  Thank heavens, MA requires only proof of age (which can be a passport, driver's license, etc.).  A good thing, too, because I'm not entirely sure where either my birth certificate or Social Security card is.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards