Attire & Accessories Forum

Advice for a warm-weather bride?

Hey everybody! I think I found my dress! It looks fantastic on me, and I just can't stop thinking that that one is IT.But, I do have a concern. I live in Louisiana and will be getting married in June. That's pretty hot, humid weather. The dress I love is taffeta. How does that fabric perform in heat and humidity? It felt pretty light and comfortable... much more so than a similar style in satin that I tried (the satin felt very heavy and thick).Any suggestions for me?
Anniversary

Re: Advice for a warm-weather bride?

• It looks great on you, and it's not like you're going ot need a big crinoline underneath it, so I think you should be ok.
  • Wow, thanks so much for all the replies!It's Alfred Angelo 1148. Here's a pic of me in it, because it looks totally different on me than on the model. And because I think I look smokin' hot in this dress and I like to show it off. :)[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/es6eea.png[/IMG]
    Anniversary
  • Thanks, Vikki! I'm having trouble posting it without making the whole thread bold. I really feel great in that dress, so maybe you're right. I'm sure that I can find a fan to stand on top of for a bit if I get too hot.
    Anniversary
  • Jeana, I think you should be ok.  It won't be to bad, and I'm sure you can find a fan if it gets to hot :)
  • Brie, BITE ME. How's that for snippy? I wasn't being snippy, I was just saying she said nothing about BM's, which she didn't. She asked advice about HER dress.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Jeana, it's GORGEOUS on you! I really think you'll be ok....like most posters said, taffeta is much cooler than satin. You'll be hot regardless, but at least you;ll be stunning.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I got married on a very hot and humid day (low-mid 90s temps) in a taffeta dress. It had 3 layers of skirt but no crinny. The bodice wasn't very breathable but the skirt was surprisingly breezy. I definitely think the taffeta will do better than the satin.Since taffeta is basically polyester, I was pretty much prepared to suffer. I think you'll feel pretty warm no matter what you wear, but in the end I didn't mind a little sweat since it was my wedding day. Bring lots of water - we spent 2 hours outside doing photos and the only thing that saved me was that our GM brought some cold water bottles. And keep some blotting powder for your face! :)
    Baby Birthday Ticker
    Baby #2: Surprise BFP 9.19.12, EDD 5.24.13, natural m/c 10.19.13 at 9w
  • I love that dress! And you are glowing! Go for it! I once wore a full skirt, fllor length Tulle BM dress.  I removed some of the tulle skirt underneath, and it made a huge difference in keeping me cool.  You look gorgeous!
  • The dress looks great! And I agree that taffeta should be a bit lighter than satin. But what I really want to know is....where did you find those shoes?! I want them! They are so cute!
  • Aww, thanks for all the compliments! You guys make me feel like a million bucks. :DI found my shoes on rocketdog.com, which is the shoe company that makes them. They also have sequined flats in black and blue. I knew I wanted purple shoes covered in sequins, but it took me a long time to finally find them! I wanted shoes that were fun and surprising.
    Anniversary
  • I love your dress!! its not oober fluffy and huge so i think it wont be too hot in the warm weather. im getting married in the middle of august in the humid kansas weather (although our ceremony and reception wont be outside) so i feel you on the warm weather thoughts!!
  • Love the dress! A bit like mine, which was also taffeta and had actually more material at the bottom. We had a beautiful 88-90-degree day (and a little humid) and honestly, I was fine--and our dinner was outside. It also didn't get wrinkly at all or anything (which is the good thing about taffeta--it holds up in heat).
  • It may seem a little extreme, but it has lasting effects and can serve you well after the wedding. I've heard of people who have profuse sweating issues who have gotten Botox injections under their arms to stifle the sweat glands. It lasts a few months, but I'd think that'd only be a possible solution if you have the money to do it (and what bride has cash floating around as she's planning a wedding?). I'd say get a clinical deodorant/antiperspirant over the counter, sit next to a fan and drink a cool beverage before walking down the aisle. Good luck!
  • Dress and fabric questions and suggestions aside, you can also talk to your dermatologist about botox for your face and underarms which would greatly reduce your sweating. You might also might to get oil absorbing papers that you can blot your face with. These will pick up moisture and oil and not endanger your makeup application.I live in Colorado now, but we're doing the wedding in the summer in New England, since that is where my family is, so I'll be in a more humid environment than I've gotten used to, so I've been thinking and researching the sweating issue. I would avoid wearing a lot of lotion, sprinkle with body powder, baby powder, or even some cornstarch on the parts of your body covered by the dress, that will keep you cool.Good luck to you!
  • I have no suggestions as I got married in Hawaii and was SOAKED by the end of the night. Totally gross.
  • I got married in Louisiana on May 30, 2009 and I also had a silk Taffeta dress. I think even if it is January you will be sweating a bit from just nerves, running around and so on. But I was fine in my dress and honestly really di dnot notcie that I was a tad bit hot til lit was time to take the dress off. Taffeta will be so much better than silk b/c silk shows wet marks, sometimes. I think the dress is gorgeous and you look awesome in it! Best of Luck
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • beautiful dress and you can tell you love it, which makes it even prettier.  I love taffeta because of the sound it makes (that "swish").  Keep some gold bond powder (for real!) handy to sprinkle on your torso if you are getting sweaty.  That stuff works!!  Try some clinical strength deodorant and keep a fan on hand while you are getting ready to you can stand by it if you are feeling hot. 
  • I agree with what some girls had said already, you're going to sweat no matter what. I do when I get nervous and it's hard to help that fact.I'm getting married in Sacramento in July and it could be 115 that day for all I know...But I wouldn't let the weather change my thoughts on the dress I absolutely love either.You look great in it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards