Honeymoon Discussions
Options

Choosing a hotel/Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort and Spa

My guy and I are going to O'ahu for about a week in late May. At this point, we're thinking that the Hilton Hawaiian looks great. It's 4 star with a ton of amenities. Prices we're tracking for now are about $2200 for the flight and 7 nights at the Hilton. Do any of you have advice on this resort? Have you stayed there? What did you think? Also, what's your opinion on the most important things to factor in for choosing the right hotel? Thanks :)
BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
"And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List

Re: Choosing a hotel/Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort and Spa

• Options
    We went to Oahu in May and looked at that hotel and decided against it because it was just SO huge and full of kids/families, which is nice if that is what you're going for, but wasn't what we wanted for a nice romantic trip :) The reviews were also all over the board depending on which type of room and in which tower, and it was the more expensive ones that got good reviews. We ended up staying at the Sheraton Waikiki, which we really liked. It has a nice new pool area, is right on the beach, is at the end where it is quieter, and butts up to the Royal Hawaiian, which has awesome restaurants (we ate at two of them). It was centrally located enough that we could walk places, but still away from a lot of the craziness.
  • Options
    The Sheraton is pretty much our second choice. It was recommended to us by a TA, but we we're sure what to think since it's only a 3 star, has fewer amenities, and costs the same pretty much. Good to know about the kids and families, though, for sure.What kinds of activities did you do while you were there? The first time I went, I did very little extra, and we didn't book any of it in advance. Just trying to decide if that's still the smartest. The Revealed book recommends waiting until you get there so you can know the weather and look for competing deals. What do you think?
    BFP #1 6/3/10 | EDD 2/5/11 | Noelle born 1/28/11
    BFP #2 12/20/11 | EDD 8/24/12 | Natural M/C 12/22/11
    BFP #3 5/13/12 (Mother's Day!) | EDD 1/23/13 | Natural M/C 6/9/12 (blighted ovum discovered 6/7/12 at 7w1d)
    "And to think when their little eyes opened, the first thing they saw was the face of Jesus."
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Ovulation Chart | My Baby Name List
  • Options
    I pretty much will only stay in 4-5 star hotels but went along with this one because I was trying to show my FI that I could rough it LOL. However, I have to say that it was totally fine and definitely seemed 4 star to me. I've stayed in Hiltons before and I don't trust them at all, they are generally not at all luxury. This was the first Sheraton I'd ever stayed at, and it was really just the rave reviews on Tripadvisor that convinced me. At any rate, we had an oceanview room with a nice balcony, the decor was pretty enough, and we had no issues with lack of amenities. We were only there for 5 nights, but we pretty much just lazed around most of the time, and then rented a car and explored the island, which is what we had the most fun doing. Hanauma Bay was amazing, for example, and it's cool to drive up the North Shore and see less touristy stuff, too. So, we didn't do any formal excursions and never needed those types of services, but the restaurants at the Royal Hawaiian were awesome, and the Sheraton had all of the amenities and services we needed.
  • Options
    Oh, and it could totally depend on what you're into, too... some people say the Sheraton is too quiet, but that was a plus for us LOL!
  • Options
    I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village and didn't have any problems with it.  The food wasn't great, but there are other places in the area to eat at.  I liked it because it was right on the beach.  I stayed there for a work conference a few years ago, so I'm not sure what I paid.  When I picked hotels for my honeymoon, I mostly looked at the reviews on tripadvisor. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    The Hilton Hawaiian Village is the biggest hotel on Oahu so your experience will really depend on which tower you are in. The Oahu Revealed website gives a great break-down review of the hotel: http://www.wizardpub.com/oahu/orhiltonhawaiianvillage.html If you end up staying at the Hilton then I highly recommend you check out the Wailana Coffee House across the street. It's totally old school and open 24 hours. We love the breakfast there, the prices are amazing and the coffee is delicious (not like typical diner coffee). We usually stay at the Aqua Palms & Spa, it's just a couple doors down from the Wailana Coffee House and across the street from the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Good luck!
  • Options
    Take out the from the link above. I'm not sure why The Knot puts that in there but it ruins the link.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards