Flowers
Options

DIY flowers

Ok, so my MOH and my mother and I will be making the bouquets and boutonnieres for my wedding.  But I'm curious who the best online, wholesale flower distributor is.  We are only doing 2 bouquets, 3 boutonniers, 2 coursages, and 1 cake topper, and possibly one centerpiece for the buffet table.  So I don't need huge quantities.  So my question is, Who'd you go with if you DIYed your flowers?  Or who are you planning to order from?  Also, how far in advance should we order?

Re: DIY flowers

• Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm planning to do my flowers, for my Feb. 2010 wedding. I would not order from an online vendor. I'd either go with your local warehouse club (Costco, Sam's, etc), with a trial run and a detailed conversation with the floral manager about what they will have in stock around the time of your wedding, or order from a local wholesale flower market.I just did a trial run of my flowers over the weekend, after a visit to a wholesale flower mart (they also sell to the public from their warehouse). The guy there was REALLY helpful in telling me which flowers would be available and reasonably priced in February. For $53 I got enough flowers to make my bouquet, four small centerpieces (I'm using 3" square glass vases), and two boutonnieres! Here's a pic: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=131859&id=580802974&l=90d47cf194The gentleman at the wholesaler said I would need to place an order two or three weeks beforehand.
  • Options
    costumegirl77costumegirl77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Those came out really pretty, I love the colors!
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    edited December 2011
    Thank you! :) I am really happy with them... and even happier that I'll probably only spend about $300 on the flowers and will have EXACTLY what I want. Check the yellow pages for flower wholesalers and call a few... they may not advertise that they sell to the public, but you might get lucky!
  • Options
    alivesoonalivesoon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    online flowers can save you tons of money, they are much cheaper as they come directly from the farm to your doorstep. www.fiftyflowers.com has the best review for online flower boutiques and i know besides bulk flowers they offer bouquets, arrangements and bout and corsages already done!as flowers come from the farms you may want to place your order 3 weeks in advance so any eventuality can be solved in time.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used theflowerexchange.com and was very happy with my experience there, but the amount per order may be too many flowers for you.  Unless you really want a lot of flowers in each of your bouquets/arrangements, you might be just as well off going with a local wholesaler or farmers' market, or your local grocery store (assuming they have a decent flower selection) to see if you can request that they could order or hold a certain type of flower for you. 
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby248 - ETA 1/10/13
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    edited December 2011
    I just looked at The Flower Exchange website and their prices are EXACTLY the same as the wholesaler I went to, except you have to pay shipping, you have to buy a much larger quantity, and you can't see what you're buying before you pay for it.I still wouldn't use them, but that's just me!
  • Options
    costumegirl77costumegirl77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The difficulty lies in the fact that we live in NY state and are getting married in FL.  So we won't have time in the 3 days before the wedding to find a wholesaler local to our wedding site and get flowers from them.  I would rather go that route, but I am probably going to have to go with ordering online.  And actually Flower Exchange includes free fed ex shipping.
  • Options
    ClaudiainloveClaudiainlove member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We used www.theflowerexchange.com and the flowers where in great conditions, we didn't pay shipping because they offer free shipping when you order $100 or $150 (i'm not sure) anyway the flowers where great. Good Luck!!:)
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    edited December 2011
    Ah, that makes sense. In that case, it should be good to know that they don't charge more than an in-person flower wholesaler! :) I didn't notice the free shipping, that is awesome.FWIW, I found the whole process of making the bouquet and centerpieces easier than I thought it was going to be. I'm hoping to have a flower party with my aunt & bridal posse the day before the wedding (possibly in conjunction with the bridal posse lunch my aunt wants to have) and knock it all out then.Good luck... I am sure you will have gorgeous flowers!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Tracy,     Who is the wholesaler that you used in the area?
  • Options
    tracy_ktracy_k member
    edited December 2011
    Potomac Floral Wholesale, www.floralwholesale.com. They are located in Silver Spring, MD, just outside the Belktway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Since you'll be new to the area you're getting married in, you could buy grocery store flowers.  A friend of mine bought her flowers at Kroger on the Friday before her Saturday wedding and made the arrangements with her mom and BP.  You'd have less a chance of getting exactly what you want, but if you go in and, say, buy all of the pink flowers they have, for example, you could save a lot of time and wouldn't have to worry about shipments.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I used www.globalrose.com for my practice run of my all red rose bouquet and centerpiece, and the roses arrived right as scheduled, and they were beautiful for almost 2 weeks. They also had the cheapest prices online, as low as 57 cents a stem for roses, and I plan on using them to order 1000 roses for my wedding next April.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards