Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Buying an M.C. Escher...?

So I have no idea where to post this, but here it goes.

I would LOVE to buy FI an original M.C. Escher piece as a wedding gift. He's an artist and he's loved Escher's works since he was a kid. But, I realize that that may be super expensive. I'm hoping maybe I can find something on the smaller side that's hopefully signed and about $250 or less.

Does ANYone know anything about what I'm looking for? I live in a pretty rural area so it's not like I could contact a gallery or anything (that I know of). I'm so lost here!

Re: Buying an M.C. Escher...?

• Options
    Given that this website (http://eschersite.com/EscherSite/Price_of_Original_Escher_Print.html) says you can buy a print for several hundred to over a hundred thousand bucks, I'm thinking an actual original is going to be well out of your budget. But the site I linked has signed prints for sale, though you have to call/e-mail for prices.
  • Options
    jb&p2013jb&p2013 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2012
    It depends on what you are going for.  Will you ever be able to buy an original Escher drawing? No. What you can buy are prints. You have to understand that an "original"  doesn't necessarily imply that the exact piece you buy will have been made by Escher''s own hands. His pieces were mainly lithographs, which means they were prints made using plates with the drawing etched into them.  Escher had professional printers to do this work for him.  Many copies could then cheaply be made using a single plate over and over. These are still legitimately "Escher pieces" but you need to be careful with what you buy, people will pass off a "print" that is really just poster essentially, and not an actual print made from inking an etched plate and pressing it to paper.   Now, I don't know how much these run, but I'm guessing they would be quite outside your budget unless you go for one that is very small, and far less popular than some of his more well known pieces.  Art does tend to follow trends; one artists work may go for ridiculously high prices one year, and then the opposite the next. However, Escher is far too famous to have works ever be devalued by much, chances are its going to be expensive.  But, also a good investment.  Try looking online, anything that a gallery would have to sell would probably be well above your budget. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I'll do alot of looking around and hopefully find something. I may go up in my budget if I find something I really like. =)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards