Iowa-Des Moines

Iowa Name Change Process???

What steps do I need to take to get my name changed after the wedding?  I'm totally lost on what I need to do and I'm the type of person that needs detailed step by step instructions, thanks!

Re: Iowa Name Change Process???

• edited December 2011
    Legally changing your name after marriage is super-easy in Iowa:  the marriage license application has a spot for both parties to list what their name after the marriage will be, so if either/both of you are changing you names that change is done legally as soon as the wedding is complete.  After the wedding you'll get in the mail a notorized copy of your marriage license, and on there it will list your name before marriage and after.  Take that with you to the social security office (or I think there's a thing you can mail in) and the driver's license agency to get a new social security card and license.  Once you have ID with the new name, then you can go about changing your name with banks, credit cards, schools, etc. etc. etc. 
  • MrsEmJayMrsEmJay member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    ScarletGem summed it up pretty well.I just wanted to add that the online directions/application for updating your social security card were confusing to me as to what I needed to show (it mentioned drivers license, birth certificate, and I couldn't figure out if the marriage lic needed to be the original copy or not...). So, I ended up just going into the social security office to do it in person. All they needed to see was my marriage license (original copy) and my drivers license. Painless. Hope this helps you out! :)
  • edited December 2011
    I worked on this today...its super easy just have to wait in line...despite the jet lag, we managed to correct our error in signing the license pick up the certified copy, request my new ssn card....then i went to indianola got my new dl and updated my bank account and called a few places...the house looks like a disaster still but feel like something was accomplished!
  • erinnhahnerinnhahn member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Great ladies!  Thanks so much, that does seem a lot less painless than I was anticipating to hear...  Thanks again, answers my question.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards