Illinois-Chicago
Options

Buying a dress - lying about date?

Hello everyone! Just a quick question....I plan on going out to buy my dress in a few weeks. My wedding is not until next September. I have heard of dress shops not wanting to help you if your wedding is too far out and I have also heard of girls lying about their wedding date so they can get serivce/get the dress with plenty of time. Do you guys think I can be honest about my date or is it really too early to get the dress?? In my opinion, it's definitely not too early to get the dress but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't totally out of line here shopping 11 months out! Thanks :)

Re: Buying a dress - lying about date?

• Options
    mbuhpathimbuhpathi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Without lying you can say "I would like the dress done by July 30th," and refuse to give them any date that your wedding is.
  • Options
    AlannaFAlannaF member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's too early - many designer's dresses take a really long time to come in.  I bought mine early and I know it's "the one", but I also refuse to look at dresses in magazines or online for fear that I'll doubt my decision!I agree with the above poster - tell them you need it ready by a certain date.  That way, if you need it to be steamed again or slightly adjusted just prior to the wedding, they don't wonder what's up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in May 2010, started shopping in Feb 09 and bought a dress May 09.   Everyone was extremely helpful throughout the entire process. HTH
  • Options
    Elizabeth7277Elizabeth7277 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bought my dress 2 years ago it's definately not too early.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm getting married in August 2010 and I ordered mine in June. I was expecting that it would take me way longer than it did to find the right one since I'm sooooo short (5'0") and the dresses are made for women 8 inches taller than me! Anyways, the first store I went to, Kimberly's Bridal in McHenry area was so nice and didn't care what my date was. In fact, on the day I got my hollow to hem measurement the other bride there was getting married a week before me. However, I did go to Macy's on State street and the sales lady barely gave me the time of day because my date was so far out. She really didn't take me seriously and was not putting much effort into the appointment. Their loss because I ordered my dress 3 days later at the first store!One thing to think about when lying about the date is whether they offer storage. My dress shop offers free storage so I couldn't get away with lying about the date.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i dont think it's too early...my wedding is this october, and i got my dress mid september of last year... my dress also took 9 months to make, + all the alterations...
  • Options
    shelly&nickshelly&nick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ordered my dress 13 months ahead.  They said it would come in 7 months.  It came in 11 months!!!!!  I would've lied if I could do it over again.  At least tell them it's one month earlier than it really is!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards