Delaware

Wilmington/Newark Area Ceremony/Reception Ideas?

Hey Everyone!

Recently started looking into possible ideas for a weding in the Wilmington area. Wondering who has been to a wedding or even had there own there with opinions on any of the places!!

Started looking at the Sheraton Suites in Wilmington - the prices look too good to be true- what is the food/decor like?

Arsht Hall on the Wilmington UDel Campus

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am also looking into just venue sites where we can bring in our own caterers and alcohol to save some money.

We will be having about 150-175 guests and are trying to keep it under 90-100/person!

Thanks!

Re: Wilmington/Newark Area Ceremony/Reception Ideas?

• obxlaurakobxlaurak member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you checked out Newark CC?  Or Embassy Suites in Newark? 
  • MrsPnky2BMrsPnky2B member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't found a lot of places in Wilmington that let you use your own caterer. Probably the only ones that do are firehalls or union halls.  There are some really nice ones in the Wilmington area though. Sorry I can't remember the names. I know I've seen it on this board.
    The Clarion Belle is one that has  been talked about on here as having really nice package pricing and decor.
    I went to a really nice reception at a union hall (electricians I think) in New Castle near Route 13 and the Air National Guard base. I'm pretty sure you can use your own caterer there.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • gmcr78gmcr78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One Wilmington venue where I know you can BYOB is the Carriage House at Rockwood.  They have their own caterer, but I've heard very good things about it.  It's near the top of our list of places to look as well.
  • cbrinkl3cbrinkl3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Clarion Belle is fantastic! It looks wonderful inside and their packages are awesome. That is where I am having the reception at for only $77/pp and it includes cake, flowers and 4 hour open bar. Check it out!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_delaware_wilmingtonnewark-area-ceremonyreception-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:77Discussion:69f6ade1-b18b-4dd5-a01d-9f280602ccf3Post:e9011a2b-ac28-430f-a195-c66e16eddb6b">Re: Wilmington/Newark Area Ceremony/Reception Ideas?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I went to a really nice reception at a union hall (electricians I think) in New Castle near Route 13 and the Air National Guard base. I'm pretty sure you can use your own caterer there.
    Posted by MrsPnky2B[/QUOTE]

You're talking about IBEW 313 on Basin Road? You're right. You can use your own caterer or you can use theirs but I think you might have to get the liquor through the hall. I could be wrong about the liquor thing though.

We're having our reception at the Double Tree on King Street. They are renovating the ballroom but it's already beautiful. Dee is the event coordinator and she is great. You have to use their catering but the chef is fanastic and their prices aren't bad. Around $90-130 a person and the $130 is for things like duel entrees (steak AND crabcake per person.. that sort of thing) which I don't know if that's what you're into but we aren't doing that. That $90-130 per person includes a lot though - like centerpieces, a hotel room for you and FI for the night of, your cake, etc. etc. so if you want to cut out the unnecessary you could probably get it even lower than the $90-130 per person.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I second The Clarion Belle.  That is right in your price range.  We had our reception there in July... and I couldn't have been happier.  Food was FANTASTIC (not that I had time to eat anything...)

The Clarion is in New Castle, but we had our ceremony in Wilmington, and it only took maybe 15 minutes to get to the reception. 
    Paprika: I like it when you burp in my ear. It really turns me on.

Baby Beach, Aruba, 2011
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Posy Palette Blog
  • cbrinkl3cbrinkl3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Recovering Actor,

Where did you take your pictures at? My ceremony is in New Castle about 15 Mins from Clsarion. The wedding is in the fall and I want outside pictures but dont want to leave the guests waiting longer than the length of the 1 hour cocktail hour. Any ideas of where I can take some quick pictures?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We're having ours at Harry's Savoy.  They have a few different level packages.  The cheapest one is $85/pp, and that includes open bar and tax and gratuity.  You also get access to the foyer and patio area.   

• edited December 2011
    We had ours at Executive Banquet and Conference Center in Newark, off of rt. 896.  It was gorgeous inside, and their prices are PHENOMENAL.  I can't even tell you all that they give you- full open bar with 8 beers on tap including local beers, 5 hour reception instead of 4, colored linens instead of white/ivory, cake and centerpieces included, etc- so much.  They have raised their prices since we booked, but I want to say it starts at 88-90pp, and that includes the 20% gratuity.  If you book on a Friday or Sunday, you get a 10% discount.  Their food was decent, and overall it was a really nice experience, and they were great to work with.

I can tell you that there are not many places in DE, including firehalls and such, that allow outside liquor- it has to do with the liquor laws.  And many of them will not let you bring in your own food, including firehalls- many have contracts with approved caterers and you can choose from the list of approved ones, and places like firehalls have the ladies aux.  I don't think I have ever seen a place in DE that will let you bring in both, but I could be wrong.

If you want to bring in both, look into going over the line into PA. I know of several places that allow you to bring in your own alcohol, at least.

I hope this helps!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards