Illinois-Chicago
Options

Jury Duty

My FI was bummin' when I got home from work today.  Turns out he received a Jury Summons for the Monday before our wedding.I think he had gotten a notice about 6 weeks ago to act as a Standby Juror but had called in the night before and didn't have to go.  The one he received today just says he must show up.I thought I had researched this when he got the standby notice and it said that you could call up and ask them to defer your name for 6 weeks or so.Anyone have any thoughts or information about this?  He is really worried about getting picked for a trial, but I am sure that Cook County lets you off if you have something like a wedding/honeymoon planned.TIA!

Re: Jury Duty

• Options
    edited December 2011
    One of the things that would prevent a person from serving on a jury is that if doing so would cause extreme fianancial hardship upon a person.  I would hope that a wedding and honeymoom would qualify as such.  However, depending on what kind of case (civil, criminal, or grand jury) he is being summoned for, it might not even take more than a day. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was on a federal case for six weeks and the stipend they give you is laughable.
  • Options
    evaluna68evaluna68 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they cut you a fair amount of slack in Cook County if you just need a temporary deferral.  I had to get one once when I got a summons right after having surgery (I was still on crutches).  They just said they'd send me another one, which ended up being more than a year later.
  • Options
    ecgchicagoecgchicago member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I received a summons for jury duty for the circuit court of cook county for the Wednesday before our wedding.  I called the number on the summons and asked for a deferral and the person I spoke with said I would get another summons in a few months.  I didn't even need to explain why.  Hope this helps.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I called once to defer because I was going to be traveling for work.  I was all ready to fax over copies of itineraries, etc, but they never even put up a fight.  I don't even think they asked if my conflict/trip was work related.
  • Options
    sjanticsjantic member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Funny post. I just got summons for the week of my wedding and I've been cringing and thinking of ways to get out...yowza...maybe a simple call and deferral is all I need to do...keep you fingers crossed...I'm calling tomorrow!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just to update, my FI called today and was automatically able to get a 3 month deferral without talking to anyone. Hope it works for you sjantic!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards