New Hampshire

Reception Service Type: Plated,buffet or family style?

Hi,
I am curious, which type/style of service have you chosen for your reception and why-plated, buffet or family style?

Re: Reception Service Type: Plated,buffet or family style?

• edited December 2011
    Plated. I actually didn't care but my FI wouldn't have anything but plated. I think it's because it feels fancier and more special to him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    290image Made the Cut!!
    175image Are Ready to Party!!
    56image Are Party Poopers!!
    59image Still Checking the Calendar!!

• FireDancer04FireDancer04 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Platted, Our reception venue only offered platted or buffet. I didn't want a buffet dinner, I didn't want the last table served to be without enough food. A complaint I've heard from friends who have gone to buffet dinner style weddings. 
  • edited December 2011
    We're choosing buffet.  I want people to have choices, and to not have to decide ahead of time.  When I am a guest, I prefer buffet, so I can see the food before I have to choose!
    Anniversary
  • DrPB2b13DrPB2b13 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm going with plated, because it's the same price as buffet style and I think it feels fancier.  Also, every event both my family and FI's family hosts winds up being buffet-style, whether it's just a family dinner or a big reunion, so I decided that a plated meal would be a  nice change.
    Mrs. Abbe Peanut Butter || Planning Bio
    June 2012 February Signature: Favorite picture of you & FI
  • edited December 2011
    We went plated.  Our only options were plated or buffet and honestly, the plated was cheaper.  I agree with the ladies that it feels more formal and maybe more special than some other party that you may attend.
    Anniversary Buying A Home
  • edited December 2011
    We are going with plated as well. It was $3pp extra but as many said before I think it feels more elegant. 
  • edited December 2011
    We did plated. Ou r only options were plated or buffet and with almost 300 people, I didn't think buffet would be the best idea. 

For a small wedding I could see buffet working well. However, personally I prefer plated or family style.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing family style on the table.  2 choices.  Beef and Chicken. Along with the soup, salad desert etc.
  • mariegramariegra member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're doing family style.  Our venue had a choice of buffet or plated (for an extra fee).  We asked if they could do the family style and they said yes----so that's what we're going with.  Two entres and sides, etc. at each table.
    September 2011 Board-April Siggy Challenge-Honeymoon Pics
    imageimage
    Planning Bio-updated August 16, 2011 NH Knotties Site
    Anniversary
  • EDK2010EDK2010 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Buffet. I was totally against doing a buffet at first for many of the reasons ladies listed above. But we felt that it was the best option with our crowd. I actually ended up loving the buffet idea. We decided to stand at the beginning of the buffet line and greeted each guest as they went through. We got so many compliments on this decision and it helped people pass the time for those waiting in line.

It also eliminated the need for a receiving line and table visits (which we still did), we were able to greet every guest and then we ate last. By the time the last table went through we were seated with our food (which for us was served plated). Since we did a sweetheart table this helped with the "fishbowl effect", we weren't there sitting/eating/on display while everyone else was in line.
    TTC #1 Since July 2011
    BFP #1 2/28/12- 3/3/12 CP at 4w3d
    BFP #2 4/1/12- 5/7/12 Missed M/C at 8w4d (measuring 6w3d)
    TTC on hold until December
  • edited December 2011
    I think it all depends on the person.  I had a plated meal.  I have been to buffets and was aggravated standing in line for food and those people who took forever to get their food.  Also have been to a family style and being a germiphobe I hated sharing with everyone at my table.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards