Gothic Weddings
Options

Today's Topic: Knot

How did you know you were ready to tie the knot? Was it something you both discussed or a huge surprise when he asked you to marry him? Spill your stories here!

Re: Today's Topic: Knot

• Options
    Derek actually asked me 2 yrs ago. i was surprised at the time. just graduated highschool and wasnt sure if i was ready. a few months later i was dxed with stage 2 astrocytoma. It was very hard but he was there for it all. now that I'm cancer free and my hair is starting to grow back normally we decided to start making wedding plans. I figure if we can get thru that we can get thru anything
  • Options
    I was married before, and the marriage failed miserably. We were both 18, had no idea who we were as people, and aside from that he didn't follow his vows. After 6 years I gave up and left the bastard. (Can I say that word here? LOL) I knew I wanted remarry someday, but was not in a hurry. I had a serious relationship after my ex, and we were getting to the engagement stage, when he drops the bomb that he talked to his parents about our future, and they disapproved of me because I was divorced. (The mom later told me, word for word, "I had been praying he marry a virgin! You're divorced, so you don't believe in HOLY MATRIMONY!!!" Um, WTF??? Crazy lady. Boy was I glad I didn't get her as MIL. She'd have torn up my Buffy posters in a miliasecond.)It was heartbreaking. Instead of sticking up for me, he broke up with me the following day. I had made a mistake in my youth, and it felt like it was going to haunt me forever. :{ When I met Nirvana, I felt an immediate connection. But seeing as I was incredibly scared, we just played it cool a while, hanging out several times before even saying the "date" word. We met through his cousin who I am really close with, and since I don't have any family around here, cousin would always invite me to their family gatherings for holidays. Cousin informed him of my past once when he inquired about me, and when he continued to persue me, I wondered if maybe it just takes a special kind of guy to not care about someone's past mistakes. We made our relationship offical on Black Friday, and three weeks later he tells me he loves me and sees me in his future. WHOA HOLD THE HORSES HERE PAL! I put the poor guy through the wringer the following weeks.  :{ I feel bad about it now lol but I had to KNOW if he really felt this about me, or if he was just going to toss me aside when the going got tough. Finally, I told him I loved him too. He asked me to marry him about 4 weeks after I told him I loved him, and I said there's something I need to do before I get remarried, before I say yes to you. He said anything you want, I said, we need to live together.That made him so happy. He moved in since I was in a lease and he lived with his dad (who absolutely loves me by the way WOOT!) and we make a great team. We've been through loss of jobs together, death of a family member, friends and family getting in fights and wanting us to choose sides, but what always matters to him is what WE as a couple want, what works for US, and the guy speaks compromise like a second language. We flow, we mesh, like I never thought possible in a relationship. I never had this with my ex, or the serious relationship after him. I never felt like I could speak my heart and have my words be taken into consideration, all decisons were made without me whether I had an opinion or not. He is so patient with me when I'm working out my feelings and that is something I definitely need in any relationship, even friendship. I can't rush decisions lol I'm am INFJ Libra for crying out loud!He asked me again this summer, and I said yes, I was ready. He cried, but don't tell him I said that LOL I think about my life with him, and I know its right. You cant describe that feeling, its just your gut telling you this is it! So it wasn't a surprise when he asked me, but he was surprised I said yes haha.  
  • Options
    I was surprised and I wasn't. I knew it was coming since he told me that I should start thinking about what kind of ring I would like. Ha, that sounds unromantic but I really don't like surprises and he knows that. We've been engaged for almost 4 years though. We were going to get married long ago but I didn't see the point, also my familt was having a bit of a rough time will illnesses etc and getting married wasn't high on the priority list. Things have pretty much settled down now though and it's now the right time. Especially since Halloween is on a Saturday! We both can actually be excited about it since someone else in our families are not misrable.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I have literally been in poop relationships my whole life. I met Shane and he was a totally different breed of guy. At first, I was kind of like I am not sure, but he has really helped me change as a person *for the better of course* He has stuck by me no matter what and I can just tell he is so devoted to me. We had talked about it, and I figured it would happen at some point, but after a year and a half, I was totally surprised. We were at the beach and I don't think I could have asked for a better night. It all just fell into place. All of that and he is GORGEOUS lol
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We discussed it early on. I too was married before and it was a horrible flop of a relationship. I wasn't with him as long as pp, only about three years all together, a little over a year of that was marriage. I didn't ever ever want to get married again. I dated another person seriously for a few years after my marriage ended, and still didn't want to get married. FI and I were friends for a few years before we got together, and he announced his feelings early on in the relationship. I assumed he was kidding, but he wasn't. That was three years ago. I guess I knew early on I wanted to marry him, but it's taken me a while to be sure marriage is really what I want. I still don't think it's a necessary part of a relationship, but I can't condemn it either. Eventually I realized that me saying "it's only a piece of paper" works both ways. So, yes and no. I was surprised initially but not when he bought the ring (which I picked out, it's "non-traditional" and I <3 it)
  • Options
    "Eventually I realized that me saying "it's only a piece of paper" works both ways."That's so true!
  • Options
    When we met almost 5 years ago, neither one of us wanted to get married, which worked for us. Then, about 3 years in I caught him looking at rings and I freaked. It wasn't that I didn't want to marry him - I know, more than I've ever known anything in my life - that I want to be with him, I just didn't know if that had to mean married. Like Future Mrs. Butterworth said - just because you know you are meant to be together doesn't have to be written on a piece of paper. But, a year later, he asked, and I said yes - it just felt right and I was ready. I was a little suspicious that something was up - but didn't put too much thought into it, so I was really surprised when he actually asked!
  • Options
    The first page of my bio explains the strange situation we were in when we met. That was about 2 and a half years ago. My mother and my oldest son came to WA to visit us this summer and I had always said it would be awesome if my mom was there for an engagement celebration (since she lives in Maine and we were in Washington) The day that they were catching a plane to go back to Maine we spent the day in Seattle on the waterfront and we did all kinds of awesome stuff like going to the Pike Place Market. As the day was winding down we went to a coffee shop to get a latte and rest our feet. Chris was wearing the huge baby backback with little miss Willow in it and as I sat down on a bar stool with my latte in the back of the coffee shop and he knealt down and pulled out a ring (his hands were shaking!) and said "if I don't do this now I don't know when else to do it!" I looked at him and almost choked on my latte, and he said "will you marry me?" Me being who I am said "are you doing this here? now?"My mom was smiling and my son, Isaiah, was twirling around a bar stool and kinda stopped and hid under it smiling and beaming at us!!! I think I said "I guess so", but Chris said I did say "yes" but that was good enough for both of us. We both wanted to get married. I had a feeling he was going to do it that day, but not at that moment in that coffee shop! I remember looking at Isaiah and saying "do you know what this means? you're going to be a ring bearer!" He nodded with a huge smile on his face. That was so sweet! I always told Chris that I wanted an obnoxiously public proposal, like in a busy city park or something, but I guess that was good enough! The funny part was there was a couple sitting on a couch in the back of that coffee shop too who were just as shocked as me at that moment! They just looked at us with wide eyes!
    Visit Gothic.weddings.com
  • Options
    OT but I think your daughter's name is AWESOME! (big BtVS fan here lol)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards