Illinois-Chicago

When to start BM dress shopping?

When I ordered my wedding dress they said it would take up to 6 months to get in. I was wondering if this is true for BM dresses as well. I don't know why, but I just realized that the 6 month mark is right at the holidays! *smacks head* That is the busiest time of the year for everyone!! I know that the average time it takes to receive a dress definitely varies, but I just want to make sure we have enough time and we're not in a crunch. TIA
When you're born in Chicago you're blessed and you're healed the first time you walk into Wrigley Field. My Bio

Re: When to start BM dress shopping?

• morgie44morgie44 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go now and get people to put their orders in by the end of November.  It will be hard to get everyone together during Late November/Dec. when you 'should' be going and it seems like people are less willing to part with the money right after January.  Also, one of the weddings I was in in June said that there is a big rush in early winter because there are so many summer weddings and so many people get engaged over the holidays.  That could have been some kind of crap to get us to buy now or something too. 
  • edited December 2011
    i think sooner the better. besides if you order too soon and they lose weight they can always have it taken in again. there was a long discussion about bridesmaid dresses not too long ago here http://tinyurl.com/yafzosg
  • edited December 2011
    My dress shop told me they needed to be ordered no later than 6 months in advance because order time is generally 4 months and in their experience there is almost always a straggling bridesmaid who has to be poked and prodded until she actually orders her dress.
  • edited December 2011
    if you are in a pinch use netbride. they are muuuuuuuuch cheaper than a dress shop and just get them altered locally. they came way sooner than they said too and get great reviews.
  • edited December 2011
    I ordered mine through Pearl's Place in Jan and they arrived in Mar - they had originally quoted me Apr.  They were also much cheaper and nicer to work with than the bridal boutiques I visited who were freaking out when I hadn't ordered them yet in Nov-Dec and telling me I would need to pay for a rush cut since our wedding was in May.Also, it is best to order them all at the same time so that they come from the same dye lot. We started looking much earlier than this to get ideas of what all the girls liked so I would say to start looking soon especially since it does get busy come next month.
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • edited December 2011
    There is also alawys the option of waiting and getting dresses from some place like J Crew were you can buy them directly out of the store.
    IMG_2788

2/20/2011
  • edited December 2011
    hey Lizbride609, regarding that netbride, do you go out and find the dresses you want, and then go to their site???  I'm just beginning the bridesmaids dresses search.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image 115 Made the cut!
    image 90 Are ready to party and cruise Lake Michigan!
    image 21 Are party poopers and would rather be lame at home!
    image 4 Are actually really making me pissy now
  • shelly&nickshelly&nick member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same situation!  I just let the girls know in November that we'd be ordering at the end of December.  My wedding was in July and the dresses came in April.  All were ordered by Jan.5.  Just give them plenty of heads up that it's coming.  They will understand.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards