Pennsylvania-Central
Options

Outdoor December Ceremony

We are planning to have an outdoor ceremony on December 26. It will be brief (we are thinking about 15 minutes.) The average low for December is 24 and average high is 40. Do you think we need to rent those patio space heaters? I know the guests will be outside for longer than just the ceremony since they will be "waiting" for us. Would love to hear thoughts!

Re: Outdoor December Ceremony

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think if you could afford it, it would be something a little extra that is nice for chilly guests. Aww, your outside December wedding sounds beautiful. I guess great things are worth waiting for, Grace!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i have mixed feelings on this. if your guests know it is an outdoor ceremony, then they should probably come prepared in coats, hats, etc. so if its pretty brief i would say its unnecessary. but then again, i am freezing ALL the time and if i was shivering at your ceremony i may not really be listening to your ceremony and focusing on you like i should be as a guest.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd supply heaters and also let guests know there will be outdoor heaters.  It may make more of them willing to attend, especially if you have any guests with children or older adults. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    tenofcups4metenofcups4me member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, rent them! Even with the heater, I'm sorry to say that as a guest, I think I would hate you. There's no way I want to stand outside for a wedding in December. Even with heaters. Even if it's not the coldest day of the year. December in PA is not the weather for standing around outside. Is there someplace guests can at least wait inside until the actual ceremony starts? Honestly, I think an outdoor wedding in December is just a terrible idea.
  • Options
    stace1814stace1814 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would probably rent them if I could afford it.  My FMIL had an outdoors wedding in November near Philadelphia and it was a beautiful day.  I think outdoors would be fine if it is kept short and there are heaters.  Ditto PPs with letting your guests know that you'll have them.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    It's a great idea to get married outside in December... if you're getting married in Key West.  As a healthy, 24 year old, I would not be happy to sit outside in the cold for that long.  What about your guests?  Are you planning on inviting any elderly people?  Children?  People with illnesses (which is a higher number in the winter anyway)?  Please keep your guests in mind!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Srahluvsgrizz- hence the heaters. Our guest list will be very small, and the ceremony will be short (10-15 minutes max.) With the patio heaters and waiting inside by the fireplace before and after, it shouldn't be that bad. If there is high wind, a bad wind chill, or very cold temps, we have an alternate indoor location. My children (age 2 and 7) are the only kids attending, and John's gradparents are the only elderly attending (we have special blankets for them.) People will know ahead of time that it is outdoors, and they can dress appropriately or just attend the reception.And I would hope anyone with an illness that is contagious or exacerbated by cold temperatures would not attend our wedding anyway. As a physician (John) and critical care nurse (me), we would certainly advise our guests not to compromise their health for us. Thankfully, cold weather doesn't cause illness, and everyone on our guest list is of healthy central-PA or midwest stock:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Well, I'm glad that you've thought it through.  If your ceremony is only 10 minutes long, then your guests will still be outside for 1/2 hour.  If the space heaters keep the outside area warm, then that should help.  I would personally skip the hassle of space heaters, blankets, etc and just stick to the indoor, alternate location.  Just my opinion, which is what you asked for.  If you're guests share your opinion, then there shouldn't be any problem.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    srah- I asked for your opinion on if I needed the space heaters, not if I should have my ceremony outdoors or not. I would never ask for someone's opinion about that, because that is something that John and I are deciding together, and since John asks for so few things with our wedding, I think he should get what he wants on the things he does ask for- specifically to have a snow-covered outdoor wedding.It is clear that you think we should have the space heaters if we go that route, which has been my opinion all along, but one that John did not share, probably because he and his family spend a lot of time outdoors, regardless of the weather. I think the responses here show that it is better to err on the side of over-accomadating then under-accomodating, which has been my opinion.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Heaters + Snow-covered wedding = Slush If snow covered is your goal, then I would go heaterless. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards