Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

Eastern Orthodox Ceremonies

Hi!  Any other Eastern Orthodox brides out there?  I go to an OCA church (formerly Russian), though I'm Syrian (my grandmother's church is Antiochian).  I'm curious about some things as I've actually only been to two weddings in my church.

1.  Does your priest allow any sort of music for the processional and recessional?  At my church the choir sings all the responses, but I would love to have music to walk down and up the aisle.  My cousin got married in a Greek Orthodox church, and I'm almost sure she had this, but I'm not sure how to convince my priest of this. 

2.  If that's not possible, does anyone know of any "pretty" songs the choir could sing as the BM's and I walk down the aisle?

3.  Is there any part of the ceremony in which you can have friends or family do a reading or play a part? 

4.  What kind of crowns did you use? 

TIA! 

Re: Eastern Orthodox Ceremonies

• Options
    hi! I'm antiochian Orthodox!

My priest will allow anything that he pre-approves. Our choir will be singing the responses, but my aunt is singing while I walk down the aisle. I haven't picked a song yet, I still have to discuss that with her. As far as music playing, my mom was permiited to bring in an organ to be played while she walked down the aisle in our church, but I don't think music could be played from a stereo system or anything.

For crowns, I am either using the crowns my church has or purchasing some from orthodoxweddingcrowns.com.

HTH!
  • Options
    I'm Macedonian Orthodox.  We're allowed to use our own musicians for the ceremony.  My sister had a violinist and he was so amazing we're going to book him too. 

Unfortunately, no, there's no part of the ceremony where friends or family can play a part.  The Orthodox ceremony has no readings.  In fact, in case you're not aware, there aren't even vows like you would see in other Christian denomination ceremonies.

And we're using the church's crowns.  They're gold and ornate and absolutely gorgeous.

My best advice would be to talk to your priest.  They'll be able to answer all of your questions much better than anyone here would be able to.  And if you do use the choir, your priest can probably tell you what song choices are popular.
    Planning Our Wedding - Updated 04/11/11
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
    "If you can't think of something nice to say, don't say something nice" - Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    We had an Antiochian Orthodox ceremony in a Greek Orthodox Church.  We walked up and down the aisle to the chanting and singing of the priest and his sons.  We used the crowns provided by the church.  Since part of our ceremony was in Arabic and part in English, after the English "readings/vows" DH's uncle came up and read the same passage in Arabic.  DH's uncle is a deacon so I think that's the only reason he was able to do it.

Unfortunately I don't know much about it since my DH is the Orthodox one (I'm Catholic) so I don't know whether we bent the rules at all.  We just sort of went with the flow--we were very hands-off with our wedding planning.  We were told we could provide our own music, but were not told that until the day before so we just went with the "default", which is probably the only regret I have from our wedding.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    We are russian orthodox, and my daughter will be getting married in Sept., My question is in regards to the traditional money dance at the reception.

You know how they have mom take off your veil and put on a 'cap, or hat" then the money dance begins.  Well, I cannot find my 'cap', does anyone know where you can purchase this ?

Also does anyone have a CD of the song that is sung during the removal of the veil ?

Thank you
  • Options
    Albrite,

Here is a website that might help.  http://www.orthodoxweddingcrowns.com/index.php
    If they don't have the "cap" maybe they could tell you where you could purchase one.

I'm not familiar with the removal of the veil and putting on the "cap".  None of the Orthodox weddings I've attended have done this, and I've found it really difficult to find Orthodox music on the internet.  Maybe your church's choir director can help with that.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards