Students

THE NCLEX- RN

Amyone else studying for the NCLEX or other standardized tests? Its SO hard to think about studying when I just graduated and I'm working on planning a wedding, moving, & there are so many distractions. :/
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: THE NCLEX- RN

• I was engaged (still am) when I was studying/taking the NCLEX and to be honest, the NCLEX caused me so much anxiety that it's all I *could* focus on.  Take the time out of wedding planning to study.  It's honestly more important that tying ribbons on bubbles or choosing whether you want chocolate or vanilla cake, etc etc.  It's also a short time period to give yourself a break from wedding stuff.  I took my NCLEX within a month of graduation, if you do the same, you're not really losing much time.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • Unfortunately I have to wait to take it till after I start my job, which starts July 30th. I'm in a nurse residency program & if I take the NCLEX prior to my start date and fail I lose the job... If I fail after I start working I get another chance... so just to have a safety net I am waiting till after I start work to take the exam. How much time did you dedicate to studying for the test? Do you have any other advice as far as studying/ the NCLEX goes???
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Practice questions like crazy!!! I would do large chunks in one sitting to "condition" myself for taking the test (and glad I did...I got the max # of questions).  I wouldn't go back through and study all things OB or Med/Surg, etc, but you'll get that by doing a variety of questions.  Read rationales for answers (even if you get it right!).

You know your test taking abilities...I was a decent test taker so I didn't do a review course but I recommend it for anyone who struggles with taking tests.  I heard Mark Klimeck is a good course.
    Where there is love, there is life.-Ghandi
  • edited June 2012
    Don't stress yourself out too much.  I studied for NCLEX using Kaplan, and swear by it.  I loved Kaplan's online question bank, and they also have a book which reviews the factual stuff you need to know.  I suggest taking it as soon as you are able.  I honestly walked out of surprised how easy the questions were compared to nursing school.  The hardest part by far is the "select all that apply" questions,  but by now more of the practice question books should have those in them so you should be fine.
    PersonalMilestone Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • All this talk of NCLEX is making me nervous, and I haven't even started my clinicals!  I'm still on the pre-reqs. 

I'm doing back to back semesters, so I'm fitting the planning in during the breaks between. I'll be done with the pre-reqs with the completion of Fall semester this year, so all I'll have to do is Pharmacology and wait for clinicals to start in fall 13.  The wedding is in March 13.

Speaking of Pharmacology...how was it?  Any tips?

Good luck on the NCLEX and the planning, kt. You may want to resize your sig pic...nice e ring!
  • Pharm, for me, was awful.  We had a professor who spoke broken English, and she was teaching us from an MD, pharmacology standpoint (she was an MD AND and PhD).  What helped me a LOT was making up flashcards and reviewing.  Focus your time on learning general classes of medications--their actions.  Then, spend some time getting the idea of what meds fall into each class of drugs.  Know the important stand-out things about specific drugs--like if there is a pretty significant patient teaching point about the drug or if there is a side effect that is really different from other drugs.  

Sorry if this worries you -- I made it through just fine, but it was still a very challenging class. Basically--don't shirk your studying, because Pharm is one class that is pretty time-intensive AND I've heard there are a lot of medication questions on the NCLEX!
  • I really enjoyed pharm but it was definitely difficult. I recommend studying way in advance for tests and making flash cards. My professor taught us that it is helpful to get a partner and act like they need the drug you are studying and describe all the SE, interactions, and precautions as if you were talking to a patient. 

I'm taking the NCLEX after I get married next June so I'm hoping that with all the wedding stress over and done with, I can concentrate on studying everyday especially since FI will be at work M-F
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks ladies!  Flash cards are my life line. So were the color in flashcards for A&P I...all those bones!!!
  • Thanks for the NCLEX advise! I greatly appreciate it! I'm not going to take a review course because I tend to be a good test taker as well. I do however have the Kaplan course manual and tons of books with questions and the online Saunders question bank. Hopefully this will all be helpful.

As far as pharmacology, I really enjoyed the course & I'm noticing so many of drugs we learned about in my NCLEX review questions. I would tackle that class by making flashcards, trying to think of silly ways to remember the drug names. The biggest thing is giving yourself enough time for memorizing all the drugs. Practices with friends was super helpful for me. 

Sorry abt the large Sig picture... I have tried to change it twice and my computer always freezes in the middle of me changing it :(
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards