New Jersey
Options

Day of Coordinator

Are DOCs really needed?  After attending FI's best friend's wedding, we thought we would really need one.  So we contacted the one that FI's bf used.  Luckily she's been very patient and not pushy about using her services.  She has given us a quote of $750 - $250 deposit down.Now that we've cut custom invitations (cost was between $965-$1700) out of our budget, I feel the need to cut something else out and that was the DOC.The reason for cutting budget was to put more $ into our wedding bands and honeymoon if need be.  For the brides/grooms that didn't have DOCs, how did your wedding day go?  Did you feel that you should've gotten a DOC?  For those that got a DOC, did you feel that you didn't need one after your wedding?All advice is appreciate :)

Re: Day of Coordinator

• Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    We did not have one and everything went very smoothly! Our maitre d took care of everything the whole day, and I didn't have to worry about anything. Personally, I don't think it is necessary and would save the money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    At my venue, we were assigned a coordinator/maitre d, so we didn't feel it was necessary to have a DOC.  But a lot of girls on here who use them say they were extremely helpful
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    The coordinator at our venue was all the help we needed.  No regrets about not having a DOC even though the entire table set-up had to be reconfigured on the day of.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I won a DOC in a contest, and she ended up bailing on me a few days before my wedding...and my wedding was still totally perfect without her. So my feeling is, as long as you have friends and family to do some of the things you don't want to do yourself, you are fine without one if they aren't going to help you anyway! Luckily one of my friends is a wedding planner and she was awesome too!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With me, I felt I needed one (I actually have had a wedding planner throughout this process, so my perspective is different).  I am not from NJ, both FI and I work long hours, and I do not have any family/friends nearby that could have helped out.  I also know with my personality, I just need someone to take over on the day of and I don't want to worry about anything.  That being said, I know that the manager at our reception site will be taking over once dinner is served and my DOC will be going home.  So my planner's DOC services was contracted for a certain amount of time.What are you getting for that $750?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had one but probably didn't really need it. You're getting married at the Florentine, right? They'll give you a bridal attendant who just does anything and everything! She got us drinks/food, bustled my dress, and was attentive to anything we needed. And the maitre'd was practically a DOC as he had his headset and was just running the show. My DOC actually left as soon as we got to the FG as she felt like they ran her out of there. But she was free (she was trying to get into the business), so i let it be.
  • Options
    alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    i think they are completely unnecessary unless you totally dont have your act together or really cannot get anything done ahead of time.  besides making sure my tables looked pretty, i cannot imagine what i'd use one for.  someone approached me for $500 day of, and that was still too much.  "oh i can hand out bouquets, fix makeup and hair, steam your gown,.." useless.  sorry just my opinion!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I seriously thought about it, but opted against it bc of the money, and I am so glad that I didn't waste the money.  I had everything so well planned the day of, and once we got to the reception, everyone there took care of everything.   I think you will be fine without one. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I hired a doc that is just starting her portfolio, she did 2 knotties weddings prior and I had faith in her, she is on the ball and was charging next to nothing in comparison.  I had the same prices given to me for DOC's and decided against it till I contacted Gisselle. Personally, I do not want to bug my family and friends to do things like hand out final payments, make sure that my candles are alternating the correct way (I'm retentive because I do events at work) personally if I would have had to pay 750 I would have not done it, but the price I got in a heart beat.I won't know if I would have decided otherwise day of, I think for my peace of mind I would rather it.
  • Options
    SinthyaSinthya member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I DEF rec Gisselle also. She is a DOLL.
  • Options
    N&W09N&W09 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think they're a good thing to have. I know that the most places give you an attendant but to me it's not the same...there are just little things that a DOC can do that the attendant won't think of or take care of ahead of time. If you're having a ceremony outside of the reception place even more reasons to have a doc. That being said, if you're low on budget 750 is a lot of money to pay for a doc. I third Gisselle, she really does do a great job.
  • Options
    acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  What's Giselle's contact information?  I'd like to keep it handy in case I go the DOC route.  Yep, our reception is at Florentine Gardens and our ceremony is at St. Anne's Church in Fair Lawn.  I thought a DOC would definitely be handy at the church in terms of making sure all goes smoothly and for little things here and there at the reception. At my friend's wedding they had a DOC (but she was a friend of the bride), and she was there at both church & reception.  She really didn't seem to do much other than be there at the wedding rehearsal, make sure the church pews were empty for the BP during the wedding, and that's it.  Unless she was elsewhere helping out.Thanks again for the advice :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm also using Gisselle! Same as the others, I would never have done it for $750, etc but for the price she is charging it was a no-brainer and absolutely worth it. I don't want our best man or parents running around that day doing tipping, gathering things, etc, so for that alone she was worth her fee. Plus she is really sweet and I have found her to be super helpful so far.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards