Oregon

Rooftop Reception??

I'm planning a wedding for a friend and we're trying to find the perfect reception location. The ceremony will be in Vancouver, so the location would ideally be in the city (Portland, not Vancouver) rather than out a distance. Oh, and she prefers something outdoors or a location that screams "Portland!" So, off the top of my head, a good rooftop location would be great. Unfortunately, I don't think there are very many. Right now, all I have is Departure at the Nines. Last I heard, the rooftop at Jax is closed (or maybe Jax is closed altogether?). Also, I was thinking of maybe a private residence venue with great views. I swear, a while back, shortly after my own wedding, I had seen an estate venue that was absolutely GORGEOUS, but I can't remember the name/location/anything. Any suggestions? I know this'll make it even harder to find a venue for, but the guest count will be 200+ (250+ on the invite list).

Re: Rooftop Reception??

• IALIAL member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was going to suggest The Nines, but it looks like you already thought of that. With that many people you are going to need a pretty big location. I know that Portland City Grill has a banquet room, but I'm not sure how many it seats and it is probably pretty spendy, but the views are amazing and definitely give you a great view of Portland. The Kennedy School also has a nice courtyard, but I think part of it would have to be inside. But, they can accommodate a large crowd, their prices are pretty reasonable and McMenamins are great unique properties. Otherwise, you could see about renting out a restaurant in the Pearl or somewhere with a unique "Portland" feel.
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am going to guess that going from Vancouver to Portland, you're going to lose a decent chunk of people.  Just a guess.  No idea how many it can handle, but the EcoTrust building in the Pearl has a green rooftop.  Although I think Mayfly said it wouldn't fit 200.
  • edited December 2011
    I was going to say Ecotrust too, I saw pics from a wedding there and it was gorgeous. I disagree with pp, I don't think you would lose that many people going from the couv to portland (its like 20 min right?, if that?). We are having our in Forest Grove and it hasn't been an issue for anyone.
  • edited December 2011
    I think the issue was having the ceremony in one city and the reception in another.  Not the most convenient plan for guests... The EcoTrust rooftop is a nice space, but I'd really be shocked if you could comfortably fit 200 people up there for a reception, unless it's a stand-up, cocktail type event.  Also consider that parking in the area is a pain :)
  • miss_mylamiss_myla member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for your input! We had our ceremony in Vancouver and reception at the Crystal Ballroom (with a stop at Washington Park in the middle of it all) and we were pretty good with keeping the guests. So, I'm not too worried about that for her wedding either. Plus, a lot of people will be coming form out of town, so they'll be here specifically FOR the wedding. I was thinking a McMenamins location would be a great idea. Does anyone have any feedback on the World Trade Center in downtown?
  • DramaGeekDramaGeek member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    WTC isn't a rooftop location, but the weddings I've seen there are gorgeous.
  • jsmithoregonjsmithoregon member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My friend got married at WTC, I hated all the bars in the way when you walked around but it looked pretty and everyone had fun otherwise and it was SNOWING.Eco Trust cannot handle 200 unless its a stand up only cocktail party style.  I would book fast too, they have NO saturdays left for 2010.  I tried back in July to get a Saturday.  Its super budget friendly and the space is amazing.  We are having both wedding and reception there.  I wanted to do stand up only cocktail with some tables throughout for older guests but my parents said H#ll no!
  • hkaphkap member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Check out Meriweathers restuarant. It's not rooftop but they do have a great outdoor garden area. It wouldn't be large enought for 200 people but they do rent out their entire restuarant for large events.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards