Wedding Party
Options

match this dress

[url]http://www.houseofbrides.com/product.php?productid=26755&cat=1232#[/url]this dress is a disney's maidens and way out of the price range that i would ask my girls to pay! So....match the dress...help me find something similar?  please

Re: match this dress

• Options
    Before you have your heart set on THAT dress, wait a few months and talk to your BMs and see how much they want to spend.THEN go shopping with them and keep that look in mind but be flexible.  Their body types and dress styles may mean that that style isn't going to work on them.  I'd post on your local and find recs of great shops for when they start to try on (no earlier than late Feb).
  • Options
    Ditto banana. Ask them their budget and then go from there. FWIW, I had my heart set on short green BM dresses. My girls wound up picking long coral ones. I'm so happy w/ how they looked and they felt good about what they wore. Being flexible will get you very far.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    You will be shocked how some dresses work and others don't. I thought my girls would be in short dresses but are wearing long ones. I agree with the girls above, look for something similar but keep an open mind. The end result may surprise you.
    Birthday
  • Options
    BTW, I also speak from experience here.  I thought I wanted cute tea length dresses until the styles the BMs tried on looked HORRID on them.  Luckily they all loved one simple black long dress. 
  • Options
    That style dress is horribly unflattering on folks with hips/thighs (i.e. me). I def. recommend being really flexible and when you're closer in time to the wedding let them tell you what they can afford and what styles look the best on them so that you can select something.
  • Options
    Honestly, I can't think of anyone that dress WOULD flatter.  Even the model who has the figure of a 12-year-old boy looks like she has a big bum.  I can't imagine what it would look like on someone who actually has some junk in their trunk.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    I agree with pp, that dress would make me look pregnant, but I did post some options in your thread below.
    My Grandparents on their wedding day.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    While I do think you have already received some good advice, if you are still looking for similar style dresses, David's Bridal has a few (some were just released) that remind me of that.
  • Options
    My BMs and I have been looking at dresses for about a month and a half. They chose Bill Levkoff 380...which is very similar to the disney dress...but lacks the wow factor the beading offers. (IMO)I'm trying to find someone that can duplicate that bead work on the BL.
  • Options
    Newsflash: If you are worried about the "wow factor", you are taking your wedding too seriously. If you are already obsessing over BM dresses a year out, you need to take up a pottery class or something because you are spending too much time/energy on your wedding and your BMs WILL get burnout. If your BMs picked out a dress, you need to honor it. You don't get to go back and say "the dress you all picked isn't fancy enough, you need to buy this one instead." If that's not what is going on here, that's certainly how it's coming across.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • Options
    I am planning my wedding according to my timeline based on the amount of time I will have. I work two jobs, plus volunteer a lot of extra time at my first job. My Fi works 70+ hours a week. If things don't get done before Christmas, they are probably going to be pushed back until June.
  • Options
    BM dresses can be bought in a day. Mine were, they looked great. Same with every other wedding I've been in. There is no, repeat, no reason to do it now. And if you have to wait til June for your Oct. wedding, guess what, that's usually plenty of time.
    Courtesy of megk8oz

• Options
    If you choose your bm because of who they are to you and are important to you, you won't be worried about the dress. If your bm are simply props in your wedding, then you should be concerned about the "wow factor" of the dress.
    bio
    Repeat this to your self: My Wedding Party is made of my family and friends and I should treat them as such.
  • Options
    Who is the "wow factor" for?  Your bridesmaids probably won't care: a BM dress is a BM dress, they don't get worn again unless they're very basic and from a department store, or unless that BM happens to be in another wedding with some flexibility.  Your guests certainly won't care: again, a BM dress is a BM dress.  Three months from the wedding, if you poll your guests and ask what color your bridesmaids wore, at least half won't remember.  (My stepsister got married well before I got engaged; I can't even tell you if she had bridesmaids, let alone what color they wore.  The only people who notice these things are other brides.)The so-called "wow factor" usually just equals more money.  If you want something cheaper, you've got to go simpler.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    Oh, I will say that if you really want the beading, then go for it, but I feel that this falls outside of normal bridesmaid dress buying duties and that you will need to pay the extra for the beading.
    bio
  • Options
    I would see if someone on Etsy.com, or a local dressmaker, can make the beaded sashes. If so, then I'd buy them for your BMs. Or maybe buy them plain sashes and sparkly brooches to pin onto the sashes for a little bit of ooomph.
  • Options
    It is not too early to get dresses if you are working full time and busy. Trust me. We ordered ours less than 5 months out and now they still aren't in and I have bridesmaids asking me left and right when there dress is going to be in. And secondly, it is YOUR wedding. As long as the price is reasonable ( and reasonable is different for everyone) I would just pick it and tell them where to go to get measured-end of discussion. Otherwise it is a huge PITA trying to get everytone to agree and you will end up going to 25 different bridal salons to find something everyone can "deal with" and deal with a bunch of unnecessary drama. I have been in several weddings and never got to "pick my dress" and it was fine everytime because I understood it wasn't my wedding it was theirs.
    Trying for #1 since 5/2010
    12/2010-hysteroscopy done to remove uterine polyps
    6/2/11=BFP!!!!
    EDD 2/12/12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    It may be the bride's wedding but the dress is on the BM's bodies and paid for with the BMs' money.  That means that the bride does NOT get final say.And ordering dresses five months out is fine.  Ordering now is WAY too early.  If I was a BM in a wedding next September, I'd flat out refuse to purchase a dress right now.   That's not being mean to the bride - it's saying that for HER sake, we need to take some time to re-group and come up with an alternate plan.  When you're five months out or less, you at least have an idea that you'll stay a similar body type or know that your body may grow through a pregnancy.  When you're 11 months out, that's WAY too early to settle on a style. Remember, it may be your wedding day but it's never OK to start issuing mandates without any opportunity for discussion when you're dealing with your BMs' cash and bodies.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards