Registry and Gift Forum

Registering for...

Me and my FI have decided to register for an "outdoor kitchen" for our backyard... Where we can choose a landscaper and guests could gift towards that.For the more traditional guests we figured we could register for barware, nice grill sets, chairs and cushions, etc...What do you guys think?BESIDES the people who think that anything other than registering for china and towels is tacky. I get thats how some of you feel.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Registering for...

• I think it's cool.  If I were a guest I would be happy to contribure towards such a unique gift.
  • We chose to register at Amazon because we could include a few non-traditional items while still having the luxury of the items that are traditional. It was also a wonderful outlet for the one of this and one of that to complete partial sets we already own, like knives. FI bbq's at least twice a week and we were able to find a number of related items to contribute to his love of the grill which made him happy. Wiliams-Sonoma has wonderful outdoor items, but most are a bit costlier than at other locations. We were going to choose them for that reason, but opted for Amazon instead. I think the outdoor kitchen is a great idea. I'm sure you've read the general consensus regarding registering for honeymoons, etc. The landscaper might fall into that "register for cash" scenario. I'm a practical person and would love to do this, but in my family it wouldn't be well received. I wouldn't feel weird giving this as a gift to a friend if I knew this was what they really wanted. We recently went to a wedding and gave a custom vinyl car deal promoting the groom's business because we knew he really wanted it and it was a useful, practical item.
    TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
  • I think Ill try out Amazon, Ive heard a lot of good things about it!  I think its a lot more common now to register for honeymoon or "cash type" of things...  I know a lot of my guests wont mind gifting torwards that and they know that its something we would use (and they can see us using it at parties).  There are some who might find it offensive so thats why I am going for a traditional registry too.I believe if you know the couple well enough, getting something like the sticker you did will be appreciated by the couple...
  • Don't register for a landscaper.  That's asking for cash which is never cool.Instead, register for the stuff you want and if anyone asks your parents can always inform them that you are saving for (insert whatever here).  That way it is the guests decision to buy you a gift or give you money.Then, once the wedding is over you can apply the money given as gifts to hiring the crew you need.IMO (and I don't really care whether you want to hear it or not) this is equivalent to registering for a mortgage or bank savings account, which is tacky tacky tacky.
  • Thats fine I'll choose to not listen to your advice...
  • You of course don't have to listen to anyone's advice but this isn't necessarily a place to go for validation.  You will get opinions that differ from your own and you don't have a right to direct the responses of others.But, as Retread said, why would you come here asking if you weren't looking for advice?  Did you want us to all tell you it was okay to ask for cash because for most people, it is never okay.
  • Please tell me where the personal attack is. I simply stated that I didn't have to listen in response to reading something wether if I liked it or not. No difference to me sorry. This is a post about registering for gifts so let's stay with that.
  • And I was never asking for people to tell me it was okay to register for cash. I was looking for the type of responses I recieved in the first two replys...like good places to register.
  • check out wishpot.com
  • Since everyone is being honest...does anyone think it would be tacky to register for furniture?  My fiance and I have lived on our own for a few years, so when we combine our belongings into one household, the only thing we desperately need is a new couch.  Would putting this on our Macy's registry be tacky?
  • Wow, what a cool idea! I think if it's reflective of who you are as a couple (aka you use your backyard a lot anyway or always talk about wanting to) then I say go for it. My fiance and I are still trying to build up our kitchen so we registered for the usual items but we also learned about a free honeymoon registry at http://www.diyunveiled.typepad.com and we're planning to register for our honeymoon as well since we're on a pretty tight budget. Hope you get your new backyard Tiffany!~
  • LOVE the outdoor kitchen idea tiffany!  I think we're going to steal that idea!  My FI is a chef and this would be great!  We only need to figure out if we're going to buy a house right a way or rent for a little while longer!  :)
  • An outdoor kitchen is an awesome idea. If you feeling a little wierd about the uniqueness of what the funds are for, an idea would be to spread that idea through friends and laid-back family via word of mouth. However I would definately register for the accessories.
  • Maybe you could register at a lowe's/home depot kind of place that has all the appliances and things like that you would need for our outdoor kitchen?! That sounds like such a great and unique idea! And sorry for all these people getting attitudes!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards