Not Engaged Yet
Options

Skiing

BF is dying to go skiing this winter.  He's been talking about it all year, but we didn't think we were going to be able to go because of finances.

Anyway, his birthday is the week before Christmas, and his mom just bought plane tickets for both of us as his birthday gift.

I'm extremely grateful to her, and I'm excited because I know how much BF wanted to go, but I'm also a little terrified.  I've been skiing once before in my life, and got an injury, which still gives me problems sometimes, the first day out.

Anybody out there a really good skier?  I need tips.

ETA:  When I say "tips", I really just want to feel a little more confident that I won't kill myself.  Not really looking to improve my nonexistant technique...

Re: Skiing

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I hear excellent things about the "Bunny Slopes"... I, myself, have never braved a large snowy mountain on the equivalent of oversized, flattened french baguettes.... Have fun! and be careful...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I love to ski! I've been on skis since I was about 4 years old...so I can't say I was every really afraid. I have gotten some of my college girlfriends out on the slopes as newbies...so here's my best advice: If you get going too fast, just fall down. I know it's scary to fall on purpose, but it's far better than running into another person or a tree! Also, try to do a lot of little turns instead of one straight line down the hill. The more you turn, the slower you go.

Hope my advice helps and that you have a great time with your BF!!!
  • Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    If you can, sign up for a class. Resorts often have special beginner packages that include equipment rental, a beginner hill only pass, and a group lesson.  The instructors are used to people who don't know what to do and who don't feel confident.

I never had much luck with skiing, but this is how I learned to snowboard. After taking the class, I knew I could get up and down the hill without hurting myself, even if it took me 20 minutes to come down the hill.

Also, even if your BF says he can teach you, I still advise a class. You'll get less frustrated with each other if you're learning from an actual ski instructor who is used to teaching beginners.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_skiing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f779786-3808-4ebf-bc66-56071a38797dPost:5252ecbc-fc65-4afd-a56a-a05776988a51">Re: Skiing</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you can, sign up for a class. Resorts often have special beginner packages that include equipment rental, a beginner hill only pass, and a group lesson.  The instructors are used to people who don't know what to do and who don't feel confident.  I never had much luck with skiing, but this is how I learned to snowboard. After taking the class, I knew I could get up and down the hill without hurting myself, even if it took me 20 minutes to come down the hill. Also, even if your BF says he can teach you, I still advise a class. You'll get less frustrated with each other if you're learning from an actual ski instructor who is used to teaching beginners.
    Posted by leia1979[/QUOTE]

After my first time, I swore to myself that I wouldn't go again without taking lessons.  Unfortunately, though, I don't think I can afford it.
  • Options
    motoLynmotoLyn member
    edited December 2011
    I don't ski, I snowboard instead but I want to say in general with snow sports, perhaps small slopes to get you comfy with your skis.  Practice starting and stopping and controlling your speed.  When I first started snowbaording I got dragged on advanced runs that were so steep it scared the crap out of me (I'm accident prone) but I took my sweet ass time going as slow as a turtle down those runs till I felt more comfy with going faster.  Nothing feels worse then picking up speed and feeling out of control.  That's when people tend to get hurt or when they do stupid moves or tricks. 

Good luck and have fun, bring a change of undies, sometimes you might get snow down your pants.  LoL!
  • Options
    bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I love skiing and not to brag or anything but I'm good. My advice is this:

1) Skip the bunny hill, they tend to be icy or such a slight slope that its not even worth it.

2) Stick to green runs in the beginning of the day.

3) Take your time going down the hill. It's not a race. Large turns are easier for beginners.

4) Don't be afraid to fall. It happens but thankfully the snow is there to break your fall!

5) Have fun!

Oh yeah and the getting on and off the chair lift isn't as hard as it seems (lots of my friends are worried about that when they first start out)

• Options
    CASK85CASK85 member
    edited December 2011
    I have no advice. I'm terrified of skiing. I went once in high school with my highschool BF who promised to teach me, but I almost died (being dramatic here) and have not gone since. Current BF loves to ski and claims I have to learn to be in the family, but I'm still scared and will fight against it until I have to cave. 
  • Options
    PandaBurrPandaBurr member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Uh, don't put your hands out if you're falling. I fell backwards and stupidly put and hands out and broke both my wrists at the same time while snowboarding. Yeah, that's all I'm got.
  • Options
    heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Elle, I've never been skiing before so I hope it goes well for you and then you can come back and tell me how awesome it was and give me tips ;)

That's really nice of your BF's mom though! So exciting for you two :)

• Options
    leia1979leia1979 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_not-engaged-yet_skiing?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:136Discussion:1f779786-3808-4ebf-bc66-56071a38797dPost:1f8aed40-00f2-4e4a-bef7-20e707251f2a">Re: Skiing</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Skiing : After my first time, I swore to myself that I wouldn't go again without taking lessons.  Unfortunately, though, I don't think I can afford it.
    Posted by Elle1036[/QUOTE]

At least look into it. A lot of places have really good beginner deals because they want you to try and enjoy skiing so you'll come back. The place I go to is $89 for a beginner lesson package deal. A regular lift ticket and rentals would cost $110.
  • Options
    Elle1036Elle1036 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the input everyone!

I'll definitely be sending a request for dont-die-vibes the day before we leave!
  • Options
    Blue & WhiteBlue & White member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Take a lesson.  And don't go off the bunny slopes if you don't know what you're doing :)  I almost killed my mom once cause I didn't know how to stop (oops)
    I guess, to tell you the truth, I've never had much of a desire to grow facial hair. I think I've managed to play quarterback just fine without a mustache. - Peyton
  • Options
    calindicalindi member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You'll be fine!  Half of it is mental... the very first day I had a class in the morning, and learned nothing.  In the afternoon, my aunt took me to the top of the mountain and we went down a Blue (intermediate).  She taught me to do the "pizza" (keep your toes pointed towards each other with your heels apart - the bigger the "slice" the slower you go) and to do lost of "s" movements - slowly, from side to side.

After we finished the Blue, I felt a bit more confident.  However, when we got to the top again, they took me down a Black Diamond!  That's the advanced course, and I was petrified!

However, her lesson was that once you learn the basics, you can do literally ANY course - your level just determines the speed that you do it.

So if you get nervous, slow it down, do big wide S movements with your pizza slice nice and fat. 

Also, practice stopping a few times.  It's like ice skating - you turn sideways and press your feet out, using the snow to stop you.  This doesn't work so well on ice.

Anniversary

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never been skiing, but if you decide you don't like it (doubtful, it looks like a blast) there is usually snow tubing. Some ski resorts offer it and its totally worth a shot because its hyped up sledding. A slope near ASU offers a lift where you dont even have to get off the tube at the bottom, you just grab a rope and get pulled back up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards