November 2012 Weddings
Options

Michael's DIY invites

Hi

Wondering if any has done/will be doing the DIY invitations from Michael's before?  I had to order 3 boxes from them to ensure I would actually get 3 boxes (they claim they always get new stock in but they have had the same 2 boxes there..previously opened...since Feb).  So they said 6-8 weeks they will be in...by July 1st. 

Anyway I have been told when they are done they are beautiful but they are horrible to do...in terms of lining up the invite wording for printing.

Anybody have any experience with that?  I am hoping I won't need too many bottles of wine to do them...haha
BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
My BFP Chart
|| Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013

Re: Michael's DIY invites

• Options
    I used their invites for our engagement party. They came out lovely and I was totally happy with them, but yes, like you said, they are absolutely horrible to do!
    Do you have a laser printer? I used an ink jet printer & the ink looked a little smudged, so I think it would have looked a little better if I had used a laser printer. It was also a real hassle trying to line it up with fonts and everything..definately have a bunch of practice sheets ready before you start! Also, once i finally got it right and was ready to print, I could only print it out 1-2 invites at a time, as feeding any more into the printer would have screwed up the alignment.
    But...after all the hassle, they did come out great! GL!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kfraskfras member
    First Comment
    My cousin used them as well. Same situation, she said they were annoying as heck. She was happy with them, but she advised me against them because I am such a perfectionist that it would drive me absolutely nuts if some came out off center or something. She had quite a few that weren't centered or printed on a small angle but she said she gave them to the people not likely to save them forever. They are definitely a money saver so if you have the time and patience go for it! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    i have my invites and they are from michaels, i am getting nervous with them, but i read reviews on the DIY board, and they all said it was easy but i am going to print them a little early just in case i need to do something about it. 
  • Options
    I got mine on clearance from Michael's for $14.99 a box, which I was thrilled about! I didn't even think about how printing might get stressful, but luckily I was having a blonde moment at the store and bought almost 2 boxes more than I'll need...so I'll have plenty to waste through if they're hard to get printed correctly, since I couldn't return the extra box and all.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_michaels-diy-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:c592f45b-99fe-478b-bdca-e6bef10f5c7aPost:335af6fe-df97-4321-bb5a-e443d1185a1f">Michael's DIY invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi Wondering if any has done/will be doing the DIY invitations from Michael's before?  I had to order 3 boxes from them to ensure I would actually get 3 boxes (they claim they always get new stock in but they have had the same 2 boxes there..previously opened...since Feb).  So they said 6-8 weeks they will be in...by July 1st.  Anyway I have been told when they are done they are beautiful but they are horrible to do...in terms of lining up the invite wording for printing. Anybody have any experience with that?  I am hoping I won't need too many bottles of wine to do them...haha
    Posted by Miss_2010[/QUOTE]

If you trust your printer and like the quality of printing it does on other stuff, you should be fine. My sister used some and they turned out great. She sent out almost 300 invitations and in total it took her 2-3 weeks to print them out, but she also chose an invitation suite that had many elements. She has a really nice printer and she could stack about 30 papers in at a time. Her printer is top loading though so there were no alignment issues. It was just time consuming for her to design and print 300 invitations, reception cards, venue directions, rsvp cards, and then 300 change of venue cards when her original location went into foreclosure a week after she sent out her invitations.

As for the stock on Michaels shelves, a lot of stuff is automatically set for restock once a certain amount have sold. If the same two have been sitting there its probably because they are not queued for replenishment yet. That is weird that they are taking 6-8 weeks for your custom order though. Usually it is only 2-4 weeks.
    A and B
    Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!Visit The Knot!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks everybody.  Yeah she said 6-8 weeks but most likely I would have them before then.  My friend told me she'd give me a hand with it, she is a scarpbooker so she said its not that bad.  I have no patience, but my 3 boxes will only come to $115, which is more than half of what I would pay to have them done elsewhere.  I figured "its just paper, people don't really care!".  I wasn't going to do church programs either but I am kind of feeling the obligation to do it now *sigh*
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker image
    My BFP Chart
    || Ovulation Calendar image #1 BFP May 24/2012 - EDD Jan 21/2013 - M/C May 31/2012 #2 BFP Feb 5/2013 - EDD Oct 16/2013
  • Options
    lls31lls31 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-club-boards_november-2012-weddings_michaels-diy-invites?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20Club%20BoardsForum:46c2f53c-680c-4532-aa96-4cca92890b59Discussion:c592f45b-99fe-478b-bdca-e6bef10f5c7aPost:07282286-be2a-4cdb-b0b4-101295d85c6c">Re: Michael's DIY invites</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thanks everybody.  Yeah she said 6-8 weeks but most likely I would have them before then.  My friend told me she'd give me a hand with it, she is a scarpbooker so she said its not that bad.  <strong>I have no patience, but my 3 boxes will only come to $115, which is more than half of what I would pay to have them done elsewhere.</strong>  I figured "its just paper, people don't really care!".  I wasn't going to do church programs either but I am kind of feeling the obligation to do it now *sigh*
    Posted by Miss_2010[/QUOTE]

<div>I'm not sure how many come in a box, but my sister spent $79 total on 100 invitations, 100 response cards, and 100 thank you cards at Vistaprint (she used a Groupon deal).  </div>
    21811_10151174643987291_1046283999_n_zpsddfa358c Anniversary BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards