Latino Weddings

Mariachi

Is anyone have Mariachis play at your wedding? I've never seen them play at any weddings and I'm wondering if anyone knows when they actually play. Is it usually when the reception first starts and while everyone is eating? Does the DJ start right after they stop? If you had mariachis at your wedding or if you plan on having them, what exactly is your timeline? Thanks!

Re: Mariachi

• mfp_10mfp_10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not having a Mariachi but my cousin did and he did it after everyone had been eating a bit i think he did it about one fourth of the way through the meal and the DJ did start right after. I guess it mostly depends how your schedule will be. It would also depend on how long you are having the Mariachi there. Personally I think its up to your preference when you want them to play. I'm having 2 live bands that will be playing through the entire reception from start to finish.
  • edited December 2011
    I would love to have one but in MD they are far and expensive so it won't happen. :( BUT if I did I would have had them play during the cocktail hour or during dinner...hope it works out for you which ever way you do it!
  • msc4373msc4373 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are having the Mariachi play at the ceremony. They play a few songs during the ceremony but the voices and thier instruments sound are worth it (IMO). They will play 1/2 after the ceremony and then 2 1/2 at the reception during dinner. So they will end at 7:30 the DJ plays for 1/2 hour as the band sets up. We decided 4 hours because it does get expensive- I think that was their minimum hours to contract the Mariachis. Some Mariachis have a minimum of hours that (usually 4 hours) you need to have them play for. I hope I answered your question. Good Luck!
  • munkiimunkii member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    At our reception this past weekend, the mariachi played through apps, salad, and stopped after everyone had their dinner entrees (this was just over 2 hours).  Once they stopped, the dj put on dinner appropriate music and continued through the rest of the evening.
    Matt loves Munkii!!!
  • edited December 2011
    Most weddings that I've been to had mariachis during dinner. While my brothers & cousins and I are not too cultural, this is one thing we really enjoy and is expected in our family. I believe one of my cousins had the mariachis play at the beginning of the reception (while they were doing pictures), and that was a nice surprise (we weren't sure if they would have mariachis because he was marrying a real gringa).As for my wedding, I would like them to play during dinner. But at this point I'm not too sure... my mom had found a Native American group to dance (FI is Navajo), and it might make more sense to have them perform during dinner. It's going to be a surprise for FI, it's a bit tough to keep from him though!
  • edited December 2011
    I had a mariachi played at my wedding for 30 minutes. They played  from 9 to 9:30pm. I would have had them play during the dinner but that was the only time they were available. I also play in a mariachi group so as far as I know in my area mariachi groups can be hired for a minimum of 30 minutes. Songs are played according to the guest taste. For my wedding I had them played plenty of rancheras and traditional songs. Mainly because the majority of my family is from Monterrey, Mx.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    We had them play at our wedding last month...for two hours.  They lead us out of the ceremony and then entertained the guests through their plated salad.  Dinner was up to the DJ.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards