Texas-San Antonio

Cake?

We did our first round of cake tastings on Saturday, and I am incredibly discouraged! Is it possible to find a baker that has tasty yellow and chocolate cake (seems all we tried had one good but not the other) that won't charge us $850 for cake for 125 people? Am I dreaming? Who did you use (or will you use)? What is their pricing like? TIA!

Re: Cake?

• marissa54marissa54 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am using Lynda with Sweet Traditions and her cakes are amazing. I'm not doing a traditional yellow and chocolate cake. I decided on her Italian Creme and Almond which are delicious. Her cakes are very reasonable. Depending on how much detail you want on the cake and what type of icing but I'd say the average is about $3.50/slice. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    We use Seventh Heaven. I think she charges $4.50/slice now, which would get you to under $600 for that many people. We had chocolate as our wedding cake and it was really yummy. Try to keep your mind open about flavors too. Just because someone doesn't have an outstanding yellow or chocolate doesn't mean they don't have a ton of other flavors that are awesome. We ended up with a pistachio grooms cake which I said no to initially, but once I actually tried it, I loved it and so did our guests.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    The per slice price gets doubled when we're talking about 2 cakes, right? So at $3.50 per slice, it comes out to $875 ($3.50 x 2 cakes x 125 guests) or ($3.50 x 250 servings), not included delivery fees. Am I doing the math right? Also, we're open to other flavors. We just haven't found a bakery that has 2 flavors that were both good quality. Maybe if we went with an alternate flavor the cake would taste different, but I don't want to spend that much money on something I'm not sure will turn out well.
  • edited December 2011
    I am using Kristine Jimenez. I only found out about her because she had a cake displayed in the store where I bought my dress and it had a pattern similar to the pattern on my dress. She is charging me $375 for my cake (4 tiers to feed 150) it has quite a bit of detailing on it. And $150 for the groom's cake. She's making him a guitar from Guitar Hero. I think the delivery fee is $25. For his, we picked chocolate cake with a dark chocolate buttercream with fresh strawberries as the filling. My cake is italian cream with a nutella filling..both were fantastic. Very moist and dense. She does not have a website. If you'd like to contact her, email me at oliviosis@yahoo.com and I'll look for her contact info. I have not had my wedding yet and I don't know anyone who has used her but like I said, the cakes tasted great...and the sample in the store looked great.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • marissa54marissa54 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well, we are only doing one cake that will feed all our guests. However, if you are doing two cakes, the wedding cake and a groom's cake, then the pricing would still be less than what you are thinking. Traditionallly, you don't do a groom's cake to feed all of your guests. Usually, the groom's cake is only to feed about half of your guests or much less. Your baker can give you a good estimate. The wedding cake which is the main cake can feed most of your guests, but even at that I would only figure out the wedding cake to feed a max of 80% of your guests. Hope this helps.
  • edited December 2011
    We used Elm's Bake Shoppe on Wurzbach.  We had a 3 tiered wedding cake and a grooms cake to feed 180 people for under $600.  I got many compliments on the cake as well.  Try them...I also agree with PP.  You don't need your grooms cake to feed your full guest list.  Your baker should be able to give you a good estimate on how many slices you need.
  • aleos18aleos18 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't think you need both cakes to feed all your guests. You will have tons of cake left over. I would only have enough grooms cake for 50% of the guests, but talk to a few of the cake shops to see what they say. Also try to do a search on the knot and see if they have any guidelines.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Cathy Young. Excellent prices and Cathy was awesome. She's been doing this for a long time. $350 including delivery and set up for 2 cakes for 80 people. Linda with Sweet Traditions was our second pick.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the ideas, ladies. We'll keep looking, and I'm sure we'll find just what we're looking for.
  • edited December 2011
    I ended up going with Lucy's Cake Shop, which was good and very inexpensive.  I think we're paying like $1.50 per slice for the main cake and $1 per slice for the grooms cake.  The main cake can feed everyone and the grooms cake will feed only about 30% of the guests.
  • edited December 2011
    I'm using Cathy Young as well!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards