Florida-Central Florida

Alcohol at Cocktail Hour

Okay- so our cocktail hour is 1.5 hrs... We are planning to have a full open bar at the reception for 4 hours... DO you think its okay NOT to have alcohol at the cocktail hour.. We will provide other things like water, sodas, prob a punch and we have appetizers too... and I am going to hire a caricature artist too for the cocktail hour.. well 2 of them.. so do you think that its okay NOT to have alcohol?? We kinda feel that its okay and we wouldnt care as we are providing other things for them to drink and I mean it will be 5pm in the after so I feel like its okay?? What are y'alls thoughts?

Re: Alcohol at Cocktail Hour

• edited December 2011
    I bet a lot of people won't even notice. I feel like most people don't grab a drink until it gets dark out. It's just kind of funny that it's called cocktail hour, you know? Can you have ask if you can have a limited alcohol selection at that point? If not, I wouldn't really worry about it. They have plenty of time to enjoy the open bar after they've gotten some food in their stomaches!
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Would it be possible to offer alcohol during the cocktail hour and then offer the remaining 2.5 hours during the reception with a shut-down during dinner? It seems like the cocktail hr and pre-dinner would be the times when most people would drink. I usually stop drinking after dinner in anticipation of driving home. Quite a few venues recommend shutting down the bar during dinner since most people are seated and enjoying the meal during that time.Just throwing out some other ideas!
  • edited December 2011
    Hmmm I have had the same things cross my mind. For myself I think I will offer the drinks during cocktail hour and then just end the drinks at the reception earlier. With a possible cash bar being open after that?
  • edited December 2011
    Thats smart thinking to prevent drinking and driving!
  • edited December 2011
    We had 2 bars at our cocktail hour and our guests drank a lot. If I was going to a wedding I would expect there to be alcohol at that time and would probably be a little dissapointed if there was none.
  • edited December 2011
    What about doing a signature cocktail that is butler passed? That is what we are doing!
  • skhynesskhynes member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think most people expect drinks at that time given it's called a cocktail hour!  Since it's basically just standing around and socializing, I think a lot of people would like a drink in their hand.  I would be surprised to have no drinks at cocktail hour but then four hours of open bar later.  I like the idea of closing the bar during dinner, or maybe just a signature drink, or closing the bar a little early.
    Claire Elisabeth born at 27w1d on 2/20/11
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • jazzycazyjazzycazy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe it's a British thing, and most of us need a couple of drinks before we're not totally silent but I just couldn't imagine dong this. Is it for $$$ reasons you're asking this? If so, are there other options i.e. don't go for premium spirits in your open bar, have some signature cocktails made from non label spirits, get in some Prosecco instead of champagne? Just some thoughts to throw out there...?xjcx
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with the other girls. I would expect and prefer to have the bar open during the cocktail hour and then have it close earlier or during dinner.
  • edited December 2011
    I would do alcohol during the cocktail hour and just not do it the last 1.5 hrs of the reception. Normally, people head to a cocktail hour thinking that they are about to drink. I do not think they will be mad or dissapointed or anything but this way might work out better.
  • Theresa626Theresa626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    To be honest, if I were your guest, I'd be disappointed and find it strange because it is called a cocktail hour. If you're looking to save money, perhaps you could limit the bar to only wine and beer for the last hour and a half of the reception?
  • edited December 2011
    This is the thing... its already $2500 for the alcohol at the reception... and if we want it at cocktail hour itd be an additonal like $750 plus another $200 for another bar setup..so almost another $1k JUST for alcohol at the cocktail hour... we cant get around the extra $200 for another bar setup... and the thing is.. the bar setup provides everything... including soda and water... so if we close it early... there are no more drinks period... so that is why we didnt want to close it at the reception early... I dunno where we would get another $1k for just alcohol... that just seems ridiculous to me.. I dunno... I mean would y'all pay antoher $1k just for them to have alcohol at the cocktail hour... Its like not we are not giving them anything...
  • SarahSmile23SarahSmile23 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    so if we close it early... there are no more drinks periodwow, this doesn't sound normal. is there someone else there you can verify this with, eryn? i see what you are saying. Another 1k would be a lot! But I think the extra $200 setup fee would be worth it if they would agree to continue serving soda and water at the end of the evening. if it makes you feel any better, our place had a $400 setup fee and they didn't even serve liquor. ugh.
  • edited December 2011
    What if you just had like a self serve champagne punch? A friend of mine did that at their wedding they just made a huge bowl of punch and put it on the table. It didn't look cheap or anything when it was done... Just a thought.
  • Jamie898Jamie898 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We were just going to offer wine at the cocktail hour and pay for the glasses consumed. The lady at the place said it would be a lot cheaper that way. Also there is going to be 20 less people at cocktail hour since they will be taking pics with us.Jamie
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards