Chinese Weddings

Bridal Qipao in Boston or online? Must it be in red?

I recently just ordered my wedding gown and I wasn't planning on wearing another dress like in the Chinese culture, but it seems like my mom's urging me to reconsider.  I am trying to decide on the best route to take on getting a qipao without compromising my budget too much, as I've already gotten a somewhat expensive gown.  I've so far gotten a few quotes from the Boston area and they range from $99 (off-the-rack silk-like polyester) to $299 (custom made silk), and I am not considering the $400 quote I got from this particular place.  Also, a rental would be $150.  Do these quotes sound about right?  If I were to get an off-the-rack qipao or order one somewhere online (which would be less expensive, it seems), will it be difficult to get a seamstress to tailor it to fit me better?  Can I just take the dress to any seamstress or would I need to take it to a seamstress who has worked with qipaos before? I am also concerned with the quality of the qipaos from the on-line stores and the inability to see the fabric and try on the qipaos.Do you ladies have any recommendations or suggestions regarding where I should get my qipao?Lastly, what makes a bridal qipao "bridal"?  Does it have to be in red?  Or have dragon/phoenix patterns on it?  How did you ladies pick your qipao? What do they look like?  I am interested! Sorry if my thoughs seem sooo disorganized.  Any input would be helpful!  Thank you!
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Bridal Qipao in Boston or online? Must it be in red?

• edited December 2011
    I got mine custommade by Van's Fabric store on Beach Street in Chinatown. It's across the street from Pho Hoa. It cost me around $200. I don't know what makes a bridal qipao. Unless your parents have an opinion, you can get whatever you want. However, normally it is red and has dragon/phoenix patterns on it. You can check out my pictures to see how it looked like.  Basically, I looked online for styles I liked, I brought it to the store, and combined the styles I liked into my qipao.
  • edited December 2011
    I also had mine made at Van's.  It cost around $250, including fabric.  This was not my favorite vendor, but the choices in Boston are really limited. I don't like that they only do 1 fitting.  Actually, it's not even a fitting, b/c that would imply that additional alterations would be made after the dress is created.  I loss some stress related weight and the qipao ended up being very loose on me.  They did not bother to alter it.  I probably should've been more aggressive about it, but I wasn't in the mood.Also, they lost my order.  Since I live in Philly, I tried to pick it up as scheduled, 1 week prior to my wedding.  They looked into their book and didn't see my name or order anywhere...They reassured me that the dress would be done in 2 days.  Thankfully it was done, but I didn't really need that added stress. 
  • edited December 2011
    I remember jenwindy mentioning she wasn't all that thrilled with them, either, so I am not sure if I want to go to them, but I might have to if I can't find other places.  The choices in Boston does seem very limited, that's why I was wondering maybe I should get it online. hmm..  Did you look at Grand Asia in Braintree or have an opinion on them?  I might check that place out..  My mom is not much help with my wedding planning and she is not local so I've been trying to figure things out myself. Thank for you both for sharing your experience!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    If I had to do it all over again, I would've tried that place in Flushing.  Aren't you originally from NYC? 
  • edited December 2011
    Nope, not from NYC.  I was actually thinking about finding a place in Philly because my parents live 30 min from there, but it would still require me to travel and won't be as convenient. Would it be worth it to make a trip down Flushing? Hmm...I am totally not familiar with NYC, though.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Oh, I forgot to ask, what place in Flushing are you talking about?  A particular place you know of? 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I used to have the number somewhere.  I'll try to look for it, but you may have better luck starting a new thread on it.  p.s. the tailor only speaks Mandarin, which was a huge limitation for me.
  • LanaJadeLanaJade member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm the Boston knottie from NYC, hehe. Sorry haven't been on the boards much lately. I've been swamped with exams and perpetual lack of sleep. I'll be going back for Columbus Day weekend so if you gals figure out which store and what you want, I can *try* to stop by and ask. Not sure of my agenda that weekend, but if I have some time I can sure try.
  • edited December 2011
    I don't know if I'm too late... but I'll give my two cents! Since I was a wee girl, my family and I have always gone to Mrs. Kim in Chinatown (a block or two from the Chinese McDonald's... but I think she also has a Copley shop). She usually gives me great deals- like my last qipao. I was (re)measured, I got to pick my fabric, design, and collar design. I also got a matching jacket, shoes, and a purse to boot. ... And I paid only $150. Mind you, this was last year so things may have changed. But that's just a thought. GL!
  • edited December 2011
    jsc - I called the Copley store earlier this year and I got quotes in the $400-450 range. 
  • edited December 2011
    You must also remember the "Speak Chinese" discount! I went to the seamstress in Chicago's Chinatown and the first time she quoted me $250-300 for a custom made qipao. Then when I returned with the fabric, and started chatting with her in Cantonese, it went down to $140!
  • edited December 2011
    Lana: Oohh. Thank you for the kind offer!  I wouldn't want to trouble you to do the legwork for me; you sound busy as is!  I am just trying to gather any info and direction from the forum and if it is worth it to go down to Flushing, I would consider a trip down there. :)jsc: I like the $150 deal you got (I'd go to her in a heartbeat), but the $400 quote I got was from Kim's Fashion in Copley.  She also quoted me $200 for to rent a qipao.  I'd rather spend that amount of money on buying one.  Also, I think she's Vietnamese and I don't speak the language, so no discount for me! :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    june, here's the tel no. for the Flushing shop: 718-886-2410
  • edited December 2011
    FFF - Really? Ehh. Maybe it's because we've been going there for years. Besides, my mother speaks Cantonese (her mother is from HK) and Vietnamese (her father is from Can Tho, VN). So that also made it easier for discounts. Also, we always ONLY go to the Chinatown office. *shrugs* What's funny is that FSIL also had a custom-made qipao for prom, and she was also charged an arm and a leg. A $400 quote is crazy! June: Sorry I was no help then!
  • edited December 2011
    foolforfood - thank you! I'll give that number a try!jsc - oh, it's ok.  I am really just envious lol
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Grandasia in Braintree, MA had a selection of Chinese wedding dresses... at least more than their Vietnamese dress selection.
  • anghuynhanghuynh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had a bad experience with Kim's Fashion.  It took Kim over 4 months to make my qipao.  I went to her Copley shop because her Chinatown location is closed.  There were many times where I went by the shop to check on the status only to find she's not there.  Someone had to call her to come in and I had to wait around for an hour for her to come.  I had to make alot trips to shop because she had to remeasure me again, she made the qipao too tight, or the lining was so low cut it showed my bra.  I must have made over 10 visits to the store.  I also couldn't understand her alot of times.  What's also funny is when I ask her about my qipao she would have to call someone to find out about the status.  I thought she would make my qipao but she actually has another seamstress do it for her.  Anyways, she was my worst vendor and I could go on and on...I wouldn't recommend her to anyone.  She is so not worth the money she asks for...you're better off at another shop or going to NY.
  • edited December 2011
    I actually got really luck and found mine at a fancy thrift store for $15. Had to get it dry cleaned, but it fits like a glove. It doesn't have a dragon/phoenix pattern on it, but it is red with a gold pattern. The dress, which is silk, is long with slits up to the knee, and it has little cap sleeves.

• jadedecarojadedecaro member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it doesnt have to be red,(it can be ur favorite color or ur lucky color, it can even be black if u want!)) it just supposed to have some red in it. and please, no dragon/phoenix on it. it's way too overdone.it's so stereotypical.choose a red shoe if u want.and i would not suggest chinatown...i dont really trust chinatown when it comes clothing wise.expensive and not very good quality.i would get a seamstress, it should cost that much money to make it....and defiantly use real china silk. a dress' quality is basically depends half on the fabric. (for example, u get this really cute dress, and amazing professional craftmanship, but polyester because it cost way less than silk, then it will not photograph well.and therefore ruin the dress.)i wore a qipao of my design to my senior prom(which is off shoulder and have short sleeve on one side, and strapless on the other.have a a little curve sticking out as a detail of the gown.knee length.).the fabric cost me $20, i made it myself. so yeah, if u pay a seamstress to do it then it shouldnt cost u more than 300 dollars.or excellent quality 500 dollars.it's worth it though. if u make it urself be sure to line it.it's profession that way.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards