Military Brides

Ideas to incorporate Military into our wedding

Hi everyone! My FI and I are having a beautiful wedding on a golf course with 150 close family members and friends. He will be wearing his Air Force dress. We are not having a military wedding, but want small touches of military because it is very special to us. What are some ways we can add tribute to him and his service to our country without overdoing it? I was thinking of having the girls carry mini american flags instead of bouquets since I do not want flowers. And the men have flag boutaneers? No idea..need help lol

Thanks!

Re: Ideas to incorporate Military into our wedding

• I'm not a fan of the flag idea.  I think it's a little over the top.  I've seen people use anchors as charms for bouquets or center pieces.  I've also seen anchors mixed into the designs on the cakes.  Other than subtle additions, I wouldn't do much more than the uniform.  
    That's just me, though.  I'm a veteran.  My husband has been in the Army for 10 years.  We didn't want the Army any where near our wedding.  It had enough of an influence on our lives, we wanted a day with out it.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Fair enough. Thanks for your input. We really want it to be apart of our wedding however not be the main factor. His uniform is definitely enough. Thanks
  • I am thinking about getting an Air Force garter, they sell them at Davids Bridal. It's cheap and not anything over the top
    June 2013 Sig - Shoes
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • My fianc has been in the Canadian Forces for 28 years, we are also adding some military touches to our wedding. Our reception will be held in the officers mess here on base and we're doing a mess style layout. He will be wearing his uniform as well. I've found some fun cake toppers of the bride dragging her soldier online. Besides that I'm at a loss too, but have just started my planning so excited to see what others suggest as well!
  • I got married next to two helicopters and had an anti aircraft gun as an altar, so I went all in. However, I think the flag boutonniere isn't even something I would do. We were going for a 40s kind of feel for our wedding, so the reception was in a USO looking kind of hall. 

You could do a groom's cake that has to do with the AF.  
    I hate Dave Ramsey
  • Another vet here - not a fan of the flag idea at all.  His uniform will be enough, but if you wanted to do a groom's cake you could maybe have the AF emblem on it or something like that.
  • My Fiance is wearing his AF Mess Dress, with special fabric on his party shirt that goes with our theme, and his grooms cake is in the shape of the AMMO "pisspot"... I think that is enough touches for us...maybe this would work for you?
  • My FI is in the air force and he had the idea of designing coins as our favors. They're actually pretty cheap to get made, and we're going to have them at each place setting with a little card explaining their significance (for my family who is not familiar with military traditions). I thought it made a nice little touch of his career without going overboard
  • My FI is in the air force and he had the idea of designing coins as our favors. They're actually pretty cheap to get made, and we're going to have them at each place setting with a little card explaining their significance (for my family who is not familiar with military traditions). I thought it made a nice little touch of his career without going overboard
    I would encourage you to give this a second thought.  I am a 26 year vet.  I have coins different General Officers and a couple of dignitaries gave to me during my career.  While I was honored to receive them, they sit in a drawer.

This could easily end up as a trinket that people throw away.  It is something with your name and date on it and serves no purpose for them.  They can't eat it and they can't use it.  If they can't do either of those things they will throw it away.  A military person attaches some kind of meaning to a coin that is given to recognize something they have done.  Civilians will not attach that to a coin you have made for your wedding.  They will think "what do I do with this thing?".
  • The ceremony will have nothing military at all; neither FI or I wanted him to wear his blues, but we did want to include some reference to his service.

For the reception though, we're having cupcake toppers made to look like AF ribbons (just some colored fondant), and instead of table numbers, each table will have a picture of one of the planes my FI has worked with and their names.
    We also have a photobook / guest book that outlines our history together since we met in college and our extended families really have no idea who this bride/groom is, and his service is also recorded a bit in there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards