Wedding Reception Forum

Head Table Name

Four our honeymoon we are going to Europe, so we decided to name all of our guest tables by different cities we will be visiting. My question is does the head table need a name? If so what are some good names. I was thinking of something like the city the wedding is taking place, or where we are from. Any ideas would be great!

Re: Head Table Name

• You could even name the sweetheart table the Venetian Gondola
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • I have never heard of anyone naming the head table.
  • How about saving yourself the worry of what to call it by not having a head table?  I will change my mind on that suggestion if you tell me that you will be having your WP AND their dates sit at the "head table".

If you are having the outdated and inconsiderate model of you, the groom, and just the WP sit at the head table, I urge you to rethink the decision for many reasons.

There's really NO good reason at all to put your WP on display at the reception.  They've done their "job" at the ceremony, and now it's time for them to enjoy the party with the rest of the guests.

Your other guests could not possibly care less about seeing a WP sitting on a dais eating.

The whole set up of the outdated head table doesn't allow you to talk with anyone but your groom on one side, and the single person on your other side.  It's not like you get to spend time chatting with the WP during dinner anyway.

The idea that you have honored your friends by asking them to be in your WP, but then you ask them to do something that not a single one of your guests has to do:  sit apart from their date for the party, is anathema to me.

There's a very good chance that the date of a WP member will feel uncomfortable at a table where they don't know people.  And "uncomfortable" is not a descriptor that I'd want used for my wedding.

There are plenty of seating options for you and your new DH that don't involve an outdated wedding tradition.

GL

Oh~and just a thought:  "naming" the other tables is fine if you feel compelled to do that.  But please also include a number.  The only reason for naming tables is to help your guests quickly and efficiently find their seats.  If you have more than 10 talbes, numbers just makes it easier than having guests wander around wondering if the London table is closer to the Paris table or to the Muncih table.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_head-table-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:667a0364-0350-4947-bc0d-e00e08762343Post:6dfc5b61-7338-4f64-9f0f-26440c441058">Re: Head Table Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I like the name "Sweetheart Table"</strong> for a head table, because it means you won't be forcing your WP to be on display (and separated from their dates and families) for the sake of an outdate photo op. But, that's just my opinion.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

We are having a head table but no name for it. We do have names and numbers for the other tables though. Table 1 is actually named "Sweetheart" that table is going to be done up specially for the dates of the wedding party. It won't be that bad for us though because all the dates already know each other anyways and the WP is okay with it. Hope this idea helps :) GL
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_head-table-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:667a0364-0350-4947-bc0d-e00e08762343Post:a3d3a510-8cfa-4e19-ba66-c8ad6945fba4">Re: Head Table Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Head Table Name : We are having a head table but no name for it. We do have names and numbers for the other tables though. <strong>Table 1 is actually named "Sweetheart" that table is going to be done up specially for the dates of the wedding party. It won't be that bad for us though because all the dates already know each other anyways and the WP is okay with it.</strong> Hope this idea helps :) GL
    Posted by jessicasheldon2011[/QUOTE]

OP, please do not listen to that advice.  It is not ok to separate your WP from their dates for dinner at the reception.  Regardless of if the dates all know each other, it is still rude to separate them from their Sig Others.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_head-table-name?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:667a0364-0350-4947-bc0d-e00e08762343Post:a3d3a510-8cfa-4e19-ba66-c8ad6945fba4">Re: Head Table Name</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Head Table Name : We are having a head table but no name for it. We do have names and numbers for the other tables though. Table 1 is actually named "Swe<strong>etheart" that table is going to be done up specially for the dates of the wedding party. It won't be that bad for us though because all the dates already know each other anyways</strong> and the WP is okay with it. Hope this idea helps :) GL
    Posted by jessicasheldon2011[/QUOTE]

I know everyone in my church.  But when we have church dinners, I still prefer to sit with my DH instead of having him sit at one table while I sit at another.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Ditto most of the pp's please don't have a head table.. they're very outdated, I honestly haven't seen on in 20 years at a wedding and it's very rude to separate your WP from their dates. Our bridal party thanked us for letting them sit at regular tables with their SO's and friends.

To answer the OP's original question, we had table names as well. They were for places we've been together, so we named our sweetheart table after our honeymoon destination. Did the sweetheart table need a table name? No, but we did it just for fun.
  • after reading these posts I must say the sweetheart table sounds better. thinking about it, I like the idea of just the 2 of us, maybe sneak a feel in, ha ha.
    glad I reread these. I guess scrap my OP :) It wasn't meant to cause any trouble :)
  • It is not rude to have a head table! It's elegant and beautiful when done correctly. The SO will survive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards