New Jersey - South
Options

Calligraphy prices?

I'm asking this for a family member who is starting a little side business of calligraphy.How much did you pay for calligraphy and what did it include?She was gonna charge $3 for everything, inner and outer invelope, seating card, return address on response and on back of invite.  Does that sound like too much?TIA

Re: Calligraphy prices?

• Options
    kimikins79kimikins79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having the inner outer and stuffing done for $1 per invite.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Does this include assembly? It still seems pricey to me even if it does. I had inner and outer envelope done and return address on the response envelope and total assembly with both sets of stamps put on (response card and invite itself) and it was only $1.00 each. I already had the return address on the back of my outer envelope printed, and didn't have seating cards, so maybe she could charge a little more than $1.00 each, but $3.00 sounds way high.
    BabyFruit Ticker

2012 Reading Challenge

2012 Reading Challenge
    Stacy has read 24 books toward her goal of 35 books.
    hide
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I had the inner and outer envelopes done for $1 each
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had inner and outer done for $.80/each. But then again, you have all the other things... including the seating card? $3 sounds fair I think.
  • Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the info
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think it all depends on the quality of her work and what type of calligraphy she does.  Make sure people know it is hand done and not computer created.  If it is pointed pen the price per outer envelope is usually $1.25 - $3.00.  It is MUCH cheaper for broad nibbed calligraphy starting at $0.50 per outer.  I did a lot of research for my wedding and I ended up paying $1.50 per outer for a pointed pen style that the calligrapher matched my invitation style but added extra flair.  She also did a lighter mocha color on my chocolate envelopes, something the computer can't do. 
  • Options
    nygirl07nygirl07 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks I didn't know that and I will let her know....What is a broad nibbed pen? It is all done by hand and I'm pretty sure it's a pointed pen that she uses and I know it's time consuming b/c she did all of mine.Thanks for letting me know that b/c I had no clue
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no problem.  Broad tipped pen is the calligraphy that is a little more blocky.  It is also called a chisel tip pen. You can have these with markers, fountain pen or dip.  At the tip it is flat.  Chancery and Italic fonts are made by this pen.  Pointed pens are well pointy and you have to dip the pen in the ink well.  These pens make spencerian and copperplate fonts.  Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards