Colorado-Denver
Options

name change dilemma

Question ladies- I want to change my email and documents at work to my new last name.  FI and I are not leaving for honeymoon until the middle of November, so I am using passport with maiden name.  I know I need to wait to change my license so that it matches my passport for travelling purposes.  Work will not let me change my email or benefits documents without a new social security card with new last name.  Do you think it is ok to change my social security card at this time, but wait to change my license until after the honeymoon?  Thanks!

Re: name change dilemma

• Options
    KariMichaelKariMichael member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had the same problem. We decided to wait until December to file everything so we start all of 2010 with new documents. That way when we merge insurances, we don't have to pay new deductables and all that. I was also affraid to start the process and not then not have everything i need for international travel done in time, so we;re holding off until everything is really settled to make our changes.
  • Options
    chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would wait like Kari said in pp...its just easier to wait till after your traveling is done.  I actually had to show my new license in order to get my new social security card so I don't think you'd be able to get your new SS card until after you get back from your honeymoon.
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • Options
    LesPaulLesPaul member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You can get your new SS card with your marriage certificate.  Your plan sounds fine.  And they will let you keep your old license (with a hole punched in it) so you can still prove both identities during the transition period.
    imageFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    chelbell326chelbell326 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I wish I'd have known you could get your new SS card with the marriage license.  I went to the SS office in Arapahoe County & they told me I had to go to the DMV first to change my license first...stupid government workers! LOL
    no identifiable siggy pictures anymore, thanks a lot stupid nest!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    OK Thanks ladies!  I might just wait until afterwards to change everything - it just sucks becasue my new insurance starts this month rather than in January since I am a teacher.  Oh well- I will play it safe.  :)
  • Options
    AmyO.AmyO. member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our marriage license came with info on how to change my last name.  It said to go to the SS office first, then the DMV.  I don't think it *really* matters.  You could go to the SS office now, then do the DMV thing when you get back...but I think it'd be easier to do it all in one swoop.  Have fun on your honeymoon!!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Actually, you don't have to wait to change your license. You only have to show your passport travelling. I had a flight in late September booked in my maiden name, and had no problems just showing my passport (my license was already changed). DH booked my christmas flight in my maiden name as well (oops), so it looks like I won't be changing my passport for a while...
  • Options
    sweety7946sweety7946 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    it just sucks because my new insurance starts this month rather than in January since I am a teacher. Oh well- I will play it safeUsually you can change your insurance during the plan year when you go through a change of status, and getting married is one of those things...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards