Catholic Weddings

Modest bridesmaid dresses?

Why on earth is it so hard to find dresses that are not low cut, as well as have sleeves?Our parish has some pretty strict modesty rules, which I agree with (respect for the Blessed Sacrament), but what I don't get is the lack of bridesmaid dresses that fit the criteria.

Re: Modest bridesmaid dresses?

• Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    the wedding gowns are just as bad, unless you want to look like an old lady.  i was only able to try on 5 dresses when i got mine  the others were all strapless.  my sister got a bolero jacket to go with her strapless BM gown.  honestly, it made the dress look prettier with the jacket.i ended up sleeveless, but i really wanted somethign with sleeves.
  • Riss91Riss91 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    It is a bit ridiculous how few modest dresses ar out there. I would try looking at dept stores and non-bridal stores. I have had luck with nordstrom online:http://shop.nordstrom.com/C/6014185/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014185?origin=6014224_Select+a+Style6014224And using a bolero or nice cardigan/jacket is a great idea as well!
  • edited December 2011
    What about adding a shaw or jacket on top of them?
  • bel138bel138 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There was just a post over on the dress board yesterday or the day before. It had a link with modest wedding/bridesmaid/prom dresses and most were very cute. I wish I remembered which one it was.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • canary11canary11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    One of my friends also wanted a modest BM dress. She found them on latterdaybride.com or totallymodest.com. Because Mormons MUST wear sleeves, there were more options there. She's not even mormon!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Watters has a few that I like: [url]http://watters.com/product.php?coll=watters&showid=606[/url] and [url]http://watters.com/product.php?coll=watters&showid=405[/url].Lots of BM dress designers offer matching jackets.
  • meltoinemeltoine member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem - and I was really opposed to adding a jacket or shawl because I feel like I should be able to buy a complete dress! In the end I got my dress from one of the mormon companies, too. I just googled "modest wedding dresses" and went from there. You cold probably get some ideas from googling "modest bridesmaid dresses" or "modest prom dresses".
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Just out of curiosity, how many churches have dress requirement for long sleeves these days?I've attended services at the Vatican in a sleeveless dress, appropriate length, of course.  I am a devout Catholic but I think this is a bit.out of the Dark Ages.I did check to make sure the church wasn't in a particular diocese that forbade strapless but sleeveless, really?I respect the Blessed Sacrament but I wouldn't hesitate to stop into a church for a prayer in reasonable shorts and shirt.
  • alliecarrie41alliecarrie41 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    my church had no requirement for sleeves or coverup... however, i thought my dress and my BP were in appropriate attire (nothing too low, but yes, we were all strapless). to PP.. love this one!:http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3053177/0~2376776~2374327~2374331~6014185?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6014185&P=1
  • Tuneful_BrideTuneful_Bride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had the same problem: I wanted modest dresses both out of respect for the sacred space and because we got married in December, and it was cold. I found some really nice things through Venus -- I think their modest line is called "Bella Maids" or something like that http://www.venusbridal.com/dresses.php?c=11&page=1&x=1 Also, check out Eternity gowns. Casablanca Gowns will also make any of their gowns with sleeves, modest cut, adjust neckline shapes, or pair a certain skirt with the bodice from another dress.
  • Calypso1977Calypso1977 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    oot, i know several that dont allow strapless, but i havent heard of no sleeveless, just no spaghetti strap/bra top type shirts.
  • edited December 2011
    ootmother-I go to a Latin Mass.  There's a sign at the door asking ladies not to wear sleeveless, slacks, etc.  But even if we were getting married in the Novus Ordo, my mom would not be okay with sleeveless at church.  Honestly, I don't feel comfortable without sleeves ever.
  • edited December 2011
    OOT thats interesting about the vatican. They kick out tourists who don't have sleeves! Some little girl in front of me was not allowed in because of it. And one of the kids behind me was not allowed in because her shorts didn't cover her knees.
  • ootmother2ootmother2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Irish, I went back and check the pictures from that day.  I was wearing a navy blue sleeveless dressthat hit just below the knee, M had a light weight pant suit on.I was somewhat shocked by the clothes on some of the kids going into St. Peter's as I had been told no shorts, tank tops, etc.This was the summer of 1997, right after they finished the restorations of the murals on the ceilings.  I remember thinking how happy I was that I had checked before hand.I wonder if they have become stricter about the dress code.
  • M&Mf4meM&Mf4me member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am planning on just the MOH, and have looked at Mother of the Bride dresses, that works too.  Also if you can get extra fabric you can have cap sleeves put on some dresses without looking like an add on.  I second looking "off" the bridesmaid sites, and stores.  Expand your horizons.  The Modest sites, Mormon or otherwise work too.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I've attended services at the Vatican in a sleeveless dressMaybe it has changed--when my friend went 2 years ago, she had to bring a shawl to cover her shoulders when she went in
    Click Here for Bio Image and video hosting by TinyPic Married June 12, 2010!
  • edited December 2011
    I bought all my girls a matching satin shawl to wear with their dresses. It looked great for the ceremony and they were able to drop them for the reception.
  • DianneMoBDianneMoB member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A shrug-type jacket or shawl would probably work. David's Bridal has these in most of their maids' dress colors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards