Hawaii
Options

Another?? for Seawatch brides...

Does this sound right...I did all the research on finding a DJ for my Maui wedding and decided to contact Billy Arbour.  We talked via email and plans were made.  His last email said that I can pay the deposit through the Seawatch.  So I contact the Seawatch and the bill has a 19% service/coordinating fee on it!!  They did not to any of the leg work!  Does this sound normal???

Re: Another?? for Seawatch brides...

• Options
    wild onionwild onion member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I don't know, but I've been wondering the same thing.  My coordinator requires that everything except H & M be booked through her, so even though I've spent several months researching and contacting musicians for my reception (because my colleagues and friends on Maui know much more about the local jazz scene than my coordinator does), I have a bad feeling that there's going to be an extra 20% tacked on to what the musicians quoted.  I'll be interested to hear what the others say. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    it seemed like to me that you were able to do a little more of your own thing at the seawatch, even if you had them coordinate some stuff....so it seems like you should be able to book him yourself, but you may need to coordinate the deposit on your own so that you dont have to pay the 20%. Does that make sense? i think if they go through the hassle of the deposit than they may charge you the 20% anyways.
  • Options
    maui2011maui2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a Seawatch bride but i've been looking into WC's for the last 8 months or so.  Unless your WC charges you a flat fee usually there is an additional charge for anything not included in your package or if you upgrade your package.  You should negotiate a price with your vendor and deal directly with them if it saves you money.  Sometimes the WC can get a better price but with the coordinating fee it can eliminate any porential savings.  I would let him know that you would like to pay him directly unless you have a clause in your contract that all vendors at their venue need to be booked through them.  HTH! J. :-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Hi.  We held our reception at the Seawatch and they do require you to book the DJ through them.  So you are stuck with the 19% service fee.  :-(   That was the one thing I didn't like about the Seawatch.  DJ Billy did a great job, but I would've liked the option to book my own DJ and not pay the service fee.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards