Registry and Gift Forum

Money as only gifts

I'm hosting my soon to be sil shower. She and my brother have everything that they need. They are paying for most of the wedding. I was hoping for help on how to ask for money and not gifts for the shower? Thanks~Jessica

Re: Money as only gifts

• Asking for money is rude. If they don't need anything for their home, they don't need a shower.
  • [i]If they don't need anything for their home, they don't need a shower. [/i] Ditto. Monetary gifts are fine for the wedding - not for a shower.
  • We didn't need much either and some friends really wanted to have a shower for us. So we made it a red wine shower and asked everyone to bring a bottle of red wine for us. It was a lot of fun and everyone loved the idea!
  • The point of a shower is to "shower" the couple with gifts. No gifts=no shower. What exactly would you have them do? Open each card, read it aloud, and then announce how much every guest has given them? If I was invited and found out they wanted cash I would either buy a white elephant gift that they have no chance of returning or I would decline attending/sending a gift at all.
  • Oh, for the love of all that is holy, please do NOT ask for cash. It is beyond tacky.
  • No shower for her!
  • There is never a polite way to ask for cash as a gift for a party. Well, when my bf's little sister sister asked us to give her cash it was funny, not gunna lie... but for adults? Not cute.The purpose of a bridal shower is to give gifts to the couple to help them start out their life together in their new home... if they truly don't need anything, then there is no reason for them to get a bridal shower. Someone suggested a wine bridal shower... I would think along those lines. A themed bridal shower might help with things the couple needs, even if it's not towels and bed sheets and dinnerware.
  • Ditto PPs.  There isn't a polite way to do this.I'd strongly encourage her to create a registry as some people simply will never give cash.  They can look into newer sheets, towels, blankets, pillows, flatware, China and cooking items to just name a few.DH and I have been married for two years and our stuff has been used a ton.  We'll be looking for things like new towels or pillows in a few years simply due to use.   I really don't believe people who say, "We aren't going to need anything," unless they're so wealthy that they buy whatever they want whenever they want.And if they do that, I'd certainly hope that they don't have a shower.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards