Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Not walking me down the aisle

My dad and I were very close when I was growing up.  I lived with him and my two brothers and I was very much daddy's little girl.  But in middle school he got remarried and everything changed.  He let her control his life and mine.  I feel very much like he choose her and her daughter over me.  I ended up leaving to live with my mom when I was 16.  For the first few years after that we didn't talk.  Over the last few years we have started to talk a little more, but we are not close at all.  I do not think that he deserves the honor of walking me down the aisle.  I really want my grandpa (his dad) to walk me down the aisle.  But he is getting up there in years and I'm not sure if he will be around when I get married.  In that case I will be having my mom walk me down the aisle.  But I was thinking about still doing the daddy/daughter dance with my dad.  But I'm at a loss as to how to tell him without hurting his feelings.  He probably won't make a big deal of it when I tell him, but once he tells his wife she will most likely over react.  I really want to keep the drama to a minimum.  Any suggestions on how to break the news? 

Re: Not walking me down the aisle

• Your wedding is in 2011. Do not stress about this for 2 years in 2011 evaluate your relationships and decide then
  • I am in the same postion. My plan is to ask my father and grandfather to walk me down the alise. If they agree to it then fine if not ill just ask my mom to do it. but its up to you. i may walk down the alise alone so no one can be offened but idk yet.
  • I'm not getting married until 2013, but I kinda have the same situation as you.  I already know that my father will not walk me down the aisle.  If my grandpa was still alive I would ask him to.  I am not sure what I am going to do.. still a while to think about it.  My advice is continue with the relationship you have with your father and see how it goes.  In about 18 months if it is the same, then break the news to him.  Maybe just him alone without his wife there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards